Lager pitch rate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat-kadaw

Reaction score
I'm brewing an imperial pilsner tonight (as per Extreme Brewing book). I have a slap pack of Pilsen lager but since the OG will be up around 1.090 my concern is that my pitch rate will be insufficient.

This is what I was thinking of trying and I wanted some advice. I was going to brew it (19L) and divide the wort into a carboy and a bottling bucket (9.5L in each). I was going to pitch the yeast into the carboy and wait for signs of visible fermentation and then I was going to add the remaining wort from the bottling bucket. Is this a variation on a starter?

any advice? I read about someone else making this recipe following the instructions, but the FG didn't drop below 1.026 or something... so just looking for advice on how to get a good product in the end.

*edit: I'll be pitching at 13 degrees celsius and once everything is in there and fermentation is re-visible, lager it around 5 degrees for 2 weeks before moving to secondary.

I wouldn't advise this. Pitching one smack pack into a 1.090 lager at 1/2 volume is under pitching to start with. I would suggest doing a multi step starter to build up your cell count and hold off on brewing until you have the right amount of yeast. With this big of a recipe and a lager to boot, having a high enough pitch rate will make or break the final result. I wouldn't risk the time and cost of the brew over a few days to build the correct starter.

even at 9.5L that is 1/3 the yeast you need. you'll need to do a multi-step with only 1 pack

*edit: I'll be pitching at 13 degrees celsius and once everything is in there and fermentation is re-visible, lager it around 5 degrees for 2 weeks before moving to secondary.

I'm a lil confused by this. are you saying you are going to get the yeast going at 13C then drop it to 5C for primary? this is a bit backwards. its always better to start colder and warm it up.

If this is one of your first brews I seriously suggest you hold off on the lagers and brew an ale first!! If you have stir plates and starter equiptment and some fermentation control then you could go ahead with this recipe. With your OG you will have to make a starter of 2.25L and then decant that down and pitch that yeast into another 2.25L starter. That will get you enough yeast. Then you need to get that wort down to 48 degrees and pitch your yeast and have a way to keep it from 48-52 degrees for at LEAST 2 weeks with that big of a beer. Then you have to lager for a minimum of 4 more weeks. Those would be minimums....i would suggest adding some time to both if it were my brew.

dcp27 said:
I'm a lil confused by this. are you saying you are going to get the yeast going at 13C then drop it to 5C for primary? this is a bit backwards. its always better to start colder and warm it up.

The reason for this is to get the yeast going, then cool to fermentation temperature. But 5C is below fermentation temp, isn't it?

I agree with you on ales though. If my yeast wants to be 60-65, I cool to 58-59 ad let it slowly rise to 60-62.

For a lager that wants to be 48-55, I've heard of people pitching the yeast at about 55 until it starts, then cool it slowly down to 48-50.

Make a starter. There's nothing wrong with brewing and waiting to pitch yeast for a couple of days, so you still have time to make a good starter. Just seal the wort in a carboy and remember to aerate right before you pitch the yeast.

Thanks for all the advice. I feel like I'm learning from scratch again with my first lager after numerous ales. I think I'm going to attempt a 1 gallon batch, save some ingredients, pitch into half the batch and add the remainder when there's visible fermentation. No point in going big if I'm a little under prepared for successive starters. Unfortunately the book fails to mention anything about pitch rate or starters in this recipe, so I'm kind of going backwards. I'll spend a little more time reading in the meantime.

Back