Lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking it depends on the temp of the fermenter the beer being made and the type of yeast you are using.
I just got done making the identical lager I had made prior with the only exception being the type of yeast. The first batch fermented very calmly, what I thought of as being probably typical of a lager. This last batch was extremely vigorous and in fact I put a blowoff tube in it just to avert a possible mess.
I'm sure there are other factors, but I'm not sure a typical bubble rate could be given accurately.
Cheers

I'm not Kay, but it should definitely be between 4 and 7.

JK, but there is no way at all to give you a number unless you're looking for something as dorky as millimoles per second, and even then it would only be a rule of thumb for a guideline to approximating the orders of magnitude.

So a bubble every 13 to 15 seconds is okay? I have only done ales which bubbled like a motor boat running full out. My first attempt at a lager. Sorry for the 'Kay' missed the 'O' in the first post.

E

Back