Lager Cold Crash Delay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I made Bohemian Lager last Sunday. My method is to leave a room temperature until activity and then put in refrigerator at 55 degrees for two weeks. Remove from refrigerator and leave at room temperature for 3-4 days to finish fermentation. Then transfer to corny and cold crash at 35 degrees for 4 weeks.

Here my question. I have had a 2 week out of town business trip dumped in my lap. I am scheduled to leave at the 14 day mark. Obviously using my method of lagering I won't be able to leave a room temperature and transfer to corny on my timeline. Would it hurt to keep the fermented beer in the refrigerator at 55 degrees until I got back? Another thought process is would it hurt to leave a room temp until I got back.

I await your suggestions.

I would suggest bumping to room temp 2-3 days before you bail and cold crash on your way out the door.

I think it depends on the yeast. When I use 34/70 I just ferment for 3-4 weeks (OG dependent) at 55* then keg and lager at 33* till a tap opens. Some yeasts need a boost in temp. I would leave it in the 55* till you get back ,who knows you might have a new SOP.

Back