Lager - Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skottree

Reaction score
I started a lager back in the middle of Feb 2012. It was taking a bit longer than expected to finish up fermentation, so I let it be. 1 month turned into 2 which turned in 5. My question is, can I still bottle this beer? Do I need to introduce new yeast? My fear is I will bottle and it will never carbonate.

The yeast used was saflager S-23 lager yeast.

Thoughts? Reactions? Bashings? :)

Thanks.

5 months lagering is fine.

Fresh yeast definitely recommended.

Yes, still in primary. It has not been disturbed other than a gravity check here and there.

Temps have ranged from 55F to 69F during the time frame.

5 months on the yeast cake is worrying but I'd pull a sample and taste it. If it tastes alright, then get it off the yeast cake and either bottle or drop the temps and lager some more.

Unless it's some kind of crazy high gravity lager, bottle it. I would recommend about 3 grams of dry yeast mixed with your bottling sugar solution...throw it in the bottling bucket and rack over it. Store the bottles at about 70F for 2-3 weeks, you'll be fine.

Took a sample and the flavor was there. I added the bottling sugar (the gravity was still a little higher than I would have liked so I only added about 4/5ths of the bottling sugar). I also supplemented with some additional yeast. Gave it all a good shake and bottled. We'll see how this one turns out.

skottree said:
Took a sample and the flavor was there. I added the bottling sugar (the gravity was still a little higher than I would have liked so I only added about 4/5ths of the bottling sugar). I also supplemented with some additional yeast. Gave it all a good shake and bottled. We'll see how this one turns out.

Hopefully you didn't shake to the point of oxidizing your beer:(

MY bet would be that it is yummy. Long lagering is not a bad thing. I recently left a lager going for about 4 months -- it was fine.

Let us know.

will do... gonna crack one open end of this week to taste. all looks well thus far. i noticed the liquid in the bottles was a bit hazy the first few days after bottling... guessing the newly added yeast was doing its thing. they look crystal clear now!

Back