lager boil??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hess414

Reaction score
Do you boil a lager differently than an ale? Or is it just the conditioning that's different?

The boil is the same, it's just the yeast and fermentation temp that is different (and the lagering stage). Post boil is when things start to change.

StoneHands said:
The boil is the same, it's just the yeast and fermentation temp that is different (and the lagering stage). Post boil is when things start to change.

What temp should a lager be stored at when I go from kettle to primary?

The only potential difference is if you are doing all grain and using a lot of pilsner malt. It is recommended to do a 90 minute boil on pilsner malt to help drive off DMS, which is an issue for all malt but more so for pilsner malt.

Primary fermentation temperature depends entirely on the yeast you choose to use. Different lager strains like different temperatures. Generally they like temperatures in the low to mid 50's F - but make sure to research the strain you plan to use and plan according to the requirements of your chosen strain!

I posted in extract brewing and beginner brewing. I'm just tryin to learn, so get off my back... I didn't know you would be hunting between the 2 groups looking for identical threads.

Chill. We know you're a beginner, and he's trying to help you. Readers of this forum see most of the groups, so it's unnecessary to post the same question in two places.

Not on your back. Most of us hit the "new posts" button at the top, so we see all threads in all sections, we don't go section by section. It's counterproductive for you because discussion gets split, info gets repeated, and questions may go unanswered. Cromwell's right, just trying to help. You'll find little snark here (and if you do, give it right back...we're a friendly bunch)

One of our former members has some awesome info on lagers:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers

Gotcha, thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

What are you guys brewing now?

There are a lot of good IPA kits at various online vendors. I would check out northern brewer or Austin home brew supply. Both are great and have great extract kits.

gcdowd said:
There are a lot of good IPA kits at various online vendors. I would check out northern brewer or Austin home brew supply. Both are great and have great extract kits.

Will do, thanks!!

Back