Lacto settle out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
when you make a lacto starter does it multiply as fast as yeast and settle out pretty quick ? Or does is stay in suspension pretty much indefinitely. Reason I ask is a just made the worlds largest lacto starter with my Gose. I put 60 Swanson’s lacto tablets ( emptied ) into my boil kettle at 100 degrees and racked into my carboy 2 days ago , I now seem to have a metric ton of lacto trub ? I’ll take a pic in a min and post it here . This is my first time so I don’t know what I did right : wrong . It’s not yeast as it hasn’t fermented but it is white like the lacto was.

Last edited:
It’s 10 gallons , going to test it tonight at 48 hours . I may have used too much

B91FB6D4-C1B5-4CF4-BB77-0AC46EA99EA1.png

Why... did you do that?

I didn’t have time for a starter but had 2 fresh containers of Swanson’s tablets I figured both pitched into the wort should sour up pretty good as it’s almost the same tablet to liter of starter ratio people use . That pic is a pic of a 6.5 gal carboy.

Does lacto usually multiply like this ?

Someone more seasoned in large lacto pitches might know the answer to that, I imagine that it will sour very quickly with that much lacto but maybe like a yeast overpitch it will produce off-flavors? I am not sure really. You could save some for another beer at the very least.

I've never used the pills, but yeah, this sounds like a huge overpitch. I would imagine it'll be fine, though.

Well it’s been 40 hours so I tasted it , it’s pleasantly tart , and it tastes good and clean . It has a smell, not unpleasant, much like raw squash and raw dough . I’m chilling to 58 now and will pith my other yeasts as soon as it hits temp

Edit , it’s raw pumpkin I’m smelling and tasting . I didn’t know off flavors could be found in wort . Well a good fermentation should take care of this one

Last edited:
I think the most I have seen someone suggest is 1 pill/gallon.
This, but more if the lacto is old or not stored refrigerated (3 caps per 2 gal, for example). Also, unless it's rancid or screams of contamination, don't by flavor/aroma of a lacto "starter" or souring wort - the sweetness of the unfermented wort masks "true" flavors and what will be seen in the end product.

Back