Lacto or wild yeast infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrjones89

Reaction score
I took the dregs and the trub from the last beer I brewed and added some water and sugar. This is what I got now. It smells kind of sour and fruity. Do you think it may be lacto or wild yeast?

Attachments

• 20180915_193642.jpg
    20180915_193642.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 141
Yep, looks like the beginning of a pellicle, which indicates wild bacteria and/or yeast.
Can't tell what it is just by looking.

BTW sugar solution is not good for propagating cultures. Use "starter wort" if you plan to use the culture for beer. :)

As long as it is not mold. It smells great! Do you think it will be fine sitting until Friday? I am between jobs right now and I don't get paid until Friday!

Make sure it's covered with a loose lid or airlock.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "fine". The microbes in there should still be alive in a week.

This is a progress snapshot of the same culture added to fresh wort. I am not sure how much of the original yeast is in the culture, but there is a lot of trub from the mash at the bottom. The pellicle formed over 24 hours, and after a week, it is taking on a brown appearance. It when from dirty feet smell to faint apple cider vinegar, to now a subtle (not completely sure on this) cherry pie aroma, and also an apple cider vinegar smell without the burning acidity. No idea what it could be. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20180928_183241.jpg
    20180928_183241.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180930_144904.jpg
    20180930_144904.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 76
Cool. Lots of headspace in that jar, which is why you're getting vinegar. Acetic acid production requires oxygen.

Identification is only guaranteed by genetics. Sounds like you have some kind of wild yeast though, in a mixed culture.

Sorry to hijack but I started a kettle sour last night and I'm smelling something today that I don't like. It kind of smells like trash. I opened the lid and it looks like it is fermenting. Never seen this before either and I've kettle soured about 5 or 6 times before. For the lacto ordered a bottle of Swanson L. Plantarum. This is the second time that i sourced Lacto this way. The 1st time it came out pretty good but I am starting to think I need to get a better source of lacto. Should I dump this batch out?

Back