Lacto low temp limit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
Will lacto sour at 60-65, or is that too cold? I understand warmer is better, but is it necessary, or just faster? I've heard it takes longer at room temp, but what is room temp, 70, 75?
Thanks,
wickerman

There are multiple lacto strains and some of them need higher temps to work opposed to those that work satisfactorily around 70F or room temp.

The strain I look for to sour at room temp is L Plantarum. You can find this strain in Omega Labs OYL-605 or in Swanson Probiotic Tablets identified specifically as L Plantarum.

Some of the other strains need to be closer to 90-100F to sour.

You should be good dude. Especially with the plantarum. Works great around room temps. I've even kept mine around 65 (my ambient temp this time of year) and have gotten great results.

Whatever strain of Lacto that White Labs uses in their Belgian Sour Mix 1 also works great around room temp. Going on my fourth generation of beers with it and never have issues souring after a few weeks.

Back