Lacto Contamination in Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp3qd

Reaction score
I made a porter I usually make that ages on cocoa nibs, coffee, and dark oak that have been soaked in black rum. This time, it is clearly contaminated with lactobacillus. I cannot decide if I should just scrap it and move on or throw a bunch of cherries in there and age it for a year. Has anyone had success with an accidental lacto contamination?

I have had some intentional lacto inoculations, but only one accidental. I personally enjoy it. I'd let iot age as is without cherries and enjoy it in a few months.

I have never been a big fan of sours and as of now I taste nothing in the beer. My thought process for adding cherries was that the flavor would be nice, the fruit would help balance the sourness, and the added sugar would drive the ABV high enough to inhibit substantial "souring" as it ages. As is, the ABV is 8%. My concern is that with all the additives in the beer and now the lacto, adding fruit would turn this into frankensteins monster

I have never been a big fan of sours and as of now I taste nothing in the beer. My thought process for adding cherries was that the flavor would be nice, the fruit would help balance the sourness, and the added sugar would drive the ABV high enough to inhibit substantial "souring" as it ages. As is, the ABV is 8%. My concern is that with all the additives in the beer and now the lacto, adding fruit would turn this into frankensteins monster

sounds like a good plan except that lacto contaminations have their own plans for your beer. there are no good ways to know what an accidental contamination is going to do. i happen to love sour beer and have 3 going right now 2 are coming up on a yr old pretty soon. when i brewed them i had no clue what they would turn out to be a year from that point. some of the best sours i've had are dark and i'm looking to brew a porter to sour sometime soon.

I would drop some fruit in pitch some bottle dregs from a couple commercial beers and forget about it for a year. It will be nice and delicious by then for sure!

Back