Lacrosse ball in the brew kettle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tosh1292

Reaction score
Hi -

I was brewing last weekend, and since it was relatively nice out, my kids and I were playing catch with our lacrosse sticks. In the middle of my boil, an errant throw by my 6 year old plopped the lacrosse ball right into the brew kettle (which would have been impressive if he meant to do it).

I ended up dumping it out, but in looking back, did I overreact? Appreciate thoughts on the topic.

Thanks!
Doug

Yes you did. It was boiling and would have been fine.
A moment of silence please...
I’ll raise a glass to your prematurely demised batch.

Yep. way premature dumpage. Boiling would kill just about anything it would bring in.
The only exception would be if the ball's previous landing spot was direct into a doggie.... treat. Or if you'd just finished fertilizing the lawn before starting the brew. Too many chemicals there that I wouldn't want to mess with, boiled or not.
Then I'd call it a loss.

Lacrosse balls are hard rubber/plastic right? I'd be concerned if I couldn't fish the ball out reasonably quick, but I wouldn't be worried about germs

Back