Lackluster Carbonation after 1 Month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
When I racked my Hazlenut Brown from the secondary to my bottling vessel, there was virtually no visable yeast/trub that made it to the bottle. After 4 weeks in the bottle at 68*-72*F, the carbonation level is still lackluster.(Slightly less than say a Fat Tire), with only 1/4" of head on an aggressive pour and no retention. I want to add a little champagne yeast to bring the carbonation level to the correct level for the style, but wonder if I should add a little DME or Corn Sugar to help the process. I have "agitated" the yeast by gentle swirling each week until the present. It's a great beer flavor wise, but needs more carbonation to be worthy of sending out in the beer swap. ( PS.... I used 3/4 cup corn sugar at bottling and had a good "swirl" going to help with emulsion.) Please convey your expertise at will.........Phil

Is there any visible yeast? I'd test a couple bottles with a pinch of dried yeast, then recap and give them a week at 70F+ And a couple with an extra tsp of corn sugar. I prefer my browns with very little carbonation, but to each their own.

david... It's kind of hit and miss. I have been taking random bottles from the batch for sampling tonight :drunk: , and out of the four, two have had acceptable levels of carbonation. Those that have had decent amounts of CO2 have visable yeast at the bottom of the bottle, while those that are kind of flat have little visable yeast. Towards the end of the bottling session, I got kind of worried that the beer was so "clear" and intentionally sucked up a bit of yeast/trub during the last dozen beers or so. Foolishly, I failed to seperate the last dozen from the rest of the batch for comparison. I too like my brown ales lightly carbonated, but the hazlenut flavor is a little strong, and I'd like to mute it a little with more bubbles.

ScoutMan said:
I too like my brown ales lightly carbonated, but the hazlenut flavor is a little strong, and I'd like to mute it a little with more bubbles.

:off: What did you use to get the hazelnut flavor? An extract?

Yep, hazlenut extract syrup that you get in the coffee flavors section of the grocery store. It's the only beer Ive made that my wife enjoys.

Scout, how much water did you use with the corn sugar? It has been my experience, that if you make a syrup, instead of something thinner, it won't mix in as good. The fact that you have gotten some that were carbonated well, and some more that weren't, leads me to think you didn't get a good enough mix. Thinner liquids will mix in better.

I've seen the same problem, from customers, at work. The other thing, after you finishing racking to the bottling bucket, give the beer a GENTLE stir, with something you've sanitized, just for that purpose.

I don't think it is your yeast, you'll have PLENTY of yeast in suspension.

steve

skou, thats kinda the way Im thinking now also. I typically use 2 cups h2o to 3/4 cups cornsugar. I used to stir the solution inside the bottling bucket back before I learned of oxidization and the off flavors associated with it. Im leaning towards going back to stirring as I have never until now dealt with inconsistant carbonation. The risk of getting off flavors by gentle stirring is probably minimal anyway. Thanks to all who responded....

I'm jumping on the "priming sugar not mixed well enough" band wagon. I had a batch that about a third of my bottles were over carbonated, a third under carbonated, and that one lucky third that was just right. (sounds like a fairy tale or something). get more consistent carbonation by better mixing in the bottling tank. you can probably salvage the under-carbonated bottles with a little priming sugar. i know there are some measuring devices out there designed for individual bottle priming, short of that, I wouldn't have a clue how much to tell you to add. good luck.

because some bottles turned out good and some not so good, it sounds like an issue with your bottle cleanliness

make sure all of your bottles are clean (preferably sterilized) prior to refilling

No, I'd have to agree on the sugar not being evenly mixed, because I had that happen on a few batches when I forgot to stir it properly. Some bottles were ready to blow, while others were flat. Not a fun lesson to learn. :(

Although, sometimes I'd open two at once, and if one was flat and one was overcarbed, I could mix them together and get a good balance. :)

SEMI-:off: On the hazelnut syrup, I had that problem when I used it in my autumn ale. Better mixed would help, or perhaps thinning it with some boiled water first and then adding it.

Latest posts

Back