lack of bottle carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capttom

Reaction score
I bottled ten gallons of ale (OG 1.045) a week ago- today I popped the tops off a couple to see how they were doing. A swing top bottle cracked off almost like a .22, but when I took a bottle top off, it was nearly flat. So I tried another, it was flat, and a third...

Normally after 5-7 days the beer has been carbonated enough to be drinkable.

So I went back to all the cases of beer, and re-applied my bottle capper to each beer bottle, trying to make sure the caps weren't loose.

If the issue was loose caps- should the batch still carbonate?

I bottled ten gallons of ale (OG 1.045) a week ago-

Ding ding ding...this is your problem, not anything else.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Anything less than 70 degrees, means a longer time to get carbed and conditioned...below the dormancy temp of the yeast (like at 45 degree) it's gonna take forever.

But until then the beer can even appear to be overcarbed, when really nothing is wrong.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Let the beer set for a full three weeks at 70, then chill a bottle down,I recommend 48 hours, then give it a try. If it's carbed and tastes great, then all's good. If not leave them alone for another week, and repeat til they're ready.

Latest posts

Back