Label Peelers says longer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot I ordered hops from them. $75.00 bucks worth. I assumed that they would charge me when they shipped. I'm about to get really upset with them. They charged the card back in Oct., no communication since the order.

Chris

LPEdited.png

Here is what they posted on the 22nd of November. I am more upset about the money than the lack of product. Never have all your eggs in one basket.

I still haven't received my order either. I understand suppliers have delays so I don't mind the wait too much as long as I do get what I ordered eventually. But if for some reason they're unable to fill my order I'm going to be really upset because I would have ordered from somewhere else and now don't really have that option

Just want to report my experience with LP. I have never tried to contact them in any way. A few minutes ago I received a phone call from them reporting the state of my order and asking for options: 1. cancel, 2. Ship what they have, or 3. wait a week or so for the full order to ship. I chose 3. Being a home brewer, and not on a citra feeding frenzy, it's not hard to keep up with my stock on hand and order well ahead of time. Personally I think LP is a great retailer, but they like others, are dependent on the wholesalers for supply.

There is one online supplier, to my knowledge at this time, that still has citra, Austin. He wrote a poem about it. The gist is that it is going to be some tough times ahead etc. He's not giving them away. :)

sudbuster said:
There is one online supplier, to my knowledge at this time, that still has citra, Austin. He wrote a poem about it. The gist is that it is going to be some tough times ahead etc. He's not giving them away. :)

I'd like to read that ;) where is it?

sudbuster said:

I'm half tempted to open up a 110# citra contract and trade with you guys for everything else I need. Unfortunately, most suppliers I've talked to have already sold those out until 2015 :drunk:

The LP guys have been great with me so far - I just keep appending stuff to ship with my pre-order. They'll need to ship it on a pallet if I'm not careful!

I forgot I ordered hops from them. $75.00 bucks worth. I assumed that they would charge me when they shipped. I'm about to get really upset with them. They charged the card back in Oct., no communication since the order.

Chris

I would just dispute my order with my credit card company then. Not getting in the product they took money from you is bad, but no communication about it and I would just dispute the order.

Seeing as how they've stated the hops are supposed to arrive in 3 business days, I would wait a bit longer before cancelling your order. And they do respond to requests to cancel or modify orders, you just have to submit it on the "contact us" page and include your order number and be patient.

I would just dispute my order with my credit card company then. Not getting in the product they took money from you is bad, but no communication about it and I would just dispute the order.

Except many credit card companies have a small window in which you are permitted to do this, and that window is slowly closing for lots of people on here. It's already been over 60 days for some of the early buyers.

I sent an email yesterday asking them to give an update and an explaination for the delay> I told them tha almost a 2 month delay was unacceptable. A few hours later I received a response. This was it.

Thank you for your Hop Pre-order.

We received an update this morning and we were informed that the pre-order hops were coming in December 10th. It appears that the crop was a bit behind what HopUnion estimated as their original crop harvest date. Because we are located 2 miles down the road from the national supplier of all homebrew shops, LD Carlson and pick up inventory orders 5 days a week, as soon as they arrive from HopUnion, we will be able to pick them up and ship them out immediately. My best estimate would be that the majority will be shipped out next week.

I apologize for the delay in getting them out to you. HopUnion only packaged and shipped one month’s worth of these hops to LD Carlson and did not foresee that they needed to package up the entire crop to meet all of the homebrew shops in the US’s demands for them due to such a low harvest and high demand for these hops. It was really out of our hands but as soon as they come in from HopUnion to LD Carlson, we will work around the clock to get them out to you.

In regards to the timing of the charges on your card before the hops are actually in and shipped out, we had to do that to make sure that those that ordered the hops actually wanted them so that we could accurately budget our allocation of hops from HopUnion and that is why we were selling them at a discounted rate during this pre-order period. It does not appear that we will have many of our allocation left after this pre-order period (since the sales of these hops are up 600% from last year) but any that are left will be sold at full price with no discount.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

I sent an email yesterday asking them to give an update and an explaination for the delay> I told them tha almost a 2 month delay was unacceptable. A few hours later I received a response. This was it.

Thank you for your Hop Pre-order.

We received an update this morning and we were informed that the pre-order hops were coming in December 10th. It appears that the crop was a bit behind what HopUnion estimated as their original crop harvest date. Because we are located 2 miles down the road from the national supplier of all homebrew shops, LD Carlson and pick up inventory orders 5 days a week, as soon as they arrive from HopUnion, we will be able to pick them up and ship them out immediately. My best estimate would be that the majority will be shipped out next week.

I apologize for the delay in getting them out to you. HopUnion only packaged and shipped one month’s worth of these hops to LD Carlson and did not foresee that they needed to package up the entire crop to meet all of the homebrew shops in the US’s demands for them due to such a low harvest and high demand for these hops. It was really out of our hands but as soon as they come in from HopUnion to LD Carlson, we will work around the clock to get them out to you.

In regards to the timing of the charges on your card before the hops are actually in and shipped out, we had to do that to make sure that those that ordered the hops actually wanted them so that we could accurately budget our allocation of hops from HopUnion and that is why we were selling them at a discounted rate during this pre-order period. It does not appear that we will have many of our allocation left after this pre-order period (since the sales of these hops are up 600% from last year) but any that are left will be sold at full price with no discount.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

I'm sorry, but the "only shipped 1 month of hops" doesn't hold water. They took the orders in Oct, presumably to contract that many for November. Well it's December. If they only shipped 1 months order, then I guess they weren't ordered till November and that's why they're getting them in Dec. I'd rather hear " sorry, we didn't get the order in till Nov, so now it will be Dec till we get them" Than pushing it off on Hop Union's practices. It sounds like they deal with LD Carlson on a regular basis, since they mention it in every E-Mail, so how did they not know when they needed to have the orders in?

.....Rant Off

I didn't preorder in time for the hops, but I was there in person to pick up another order that I got some stuff from their black Friday sale.

Let me tell you, usually there is one guy working and everything is super chill there. Since they are so close to LD Carlson, they don't keep much on hand the store is pretty bare-bones, as they clearly do a majority of their business online. This time, there were 3 guys, and 3 kids that were 16-18 years old and boxes EVERYWHERE. They were all handing orders to one another for boxing. At least from a visual standpoint, they are working with everything they have to get these orders out.

I know you guys want to brew, I understand. Just know that it is coming as fast as they can get it to make those glorious IPA's, APA's, IIPA's, and anything else you had planned!

I'm sorry, but the "only shipped 1 month of hops" doesn't hold water. They took the orders in Oct, presumably to contract that many for November. Well it's December. If they only shipped 1 months order, then I guess they weren't ordered till November and that's why they're getting them in Dec. I'd rather hear " sorry, we didn't get the order in till Nov, so now it will be Dec till we get them" Than pushing it off on Hop Union's practices. It sounds like they deal with LD Carlson on a regular basis, since they mention it in every E-Mail, so how did they not know when they needed to have the orders in?

.....Rant Off

I'm not sure I'm understanding why you think this doesn't make sense. The vast majority of people holding hops contracts would not want to take delivery of all of them at once. Besides, I'm not sure that taking delivery of the hops crop works in the way you are apparently envisioning.

I personally have not ordered anything from these guys but it doesn't sound particularly amiss from what I'm hearing and seeing from the other suppliers. The other suppliers don't have this problem because they didn't pre-order them - the way LP's pre-orders are being administered sounds functionally identical to most "pre-ordered" consumer goods.

Well I'm feeling somewhat better now. They finally responded to my inquiry with a phone call yesterday. They told me they expect LD Carlson should have a shipment in on Friday. Then they can get theirs and work on shipping orders out right away. So I don't have any hops yet but I'm more hopeful now.

Looks like we'll all be getting our hops before Christmas (fingers still crossed). Updates going out now that the hops are on the way to LP this weekend.

Just got this email from them. So who knows when now.

We would like to thank all of you for participating in our 2012 Hop Pre-order Program and for all of your patience as we wait for the hops to come in from HopUnion. We have received an update that the rest of our Hop Allocation is coming in this weekend. It appears that the crop was a bit behind what HopUnion estimated as their original crop harvest date. We apologize for the delay in getting them out to you. HopUnion only packaged and shipped one month’s worth of these hops to LD Carlson and did not foresee that they needed to package up the entire crop to meet all of the homebrew shops in the US’s demands for them. It was really out of our hands but as soon as they come in from HopUnion to LD Carlson, we will work around the clock to get them out to you. Cheers! Matt Pruszynski Label Peelers Beer & Wine Supply

Your current order status is:
Hops Pre Ordered

I'm not sure I'm understanding why you think this doesn't make sense. The vast majority of people holding hops contracts would not want to take delivery of all of them at once. Besides, I'm not sure that taking delivery of the hops crop works in the way you are apparently envisioning.

I personally have not ordered anything from these guys but it doesn't sound particularly amiss from what I'm hearing and seeing from the other suppliers. The other suppliers don't have this problem because they didn't pre-order them - the way LP's pre-orders are being administered sounds functionally identical to most "pre-ordered" consumer goods.

If your taking pre orders, I would assume it's so you know how much you need to order and guarantee you're going to sell that amount. Since they are a middle man, and are shipping them right out, why wouldn't you want your entire order filled right away so you could get them to your customers? I could understand a brewery that would be using them over a period of months not needing or wanting them all at once, but on a retail sales basis I would want all my product as quickly as possible so I could get it to my customers.

I understand things happen, especially with agricultural goods. I would have been fine with them saying " we will get your orders out as quickly as possible on a first ordered first shipped basis".

You are right, I don't know how the ordering and delivery of hops works. My issue is that this is their business, and we relied on them to know the way things are done in that business and meet the deadlines that they themselves set.

All that being said, you say you haven't ordered anything from them, so you have no skin in the game.
:mug:

I just got my second round of hops sent out from them.. Hopefully everyone is getting what they asked for. Again I'm getting strictly leaf, and having no problem getting them at all.

If your taking pre orders, I would assume it's so you know how much you need to order and guarantee you're going to sell that amount. Since they are a middle man, and are shipping them right out, why wouldn't you want your entire order filled right away so you could get them to your customers? I could understand a brewery that would be using them over a period of months not needing or wanting them all at once, but on a retail sales basis I would want all my product as quickly as possible so I could get it to my customers.

I understand things happen, especially with agricultural goods. I would have been fine with them saying " we will get your orders out as quickly as possible on a first ordered first shipped basis".

You are right, I don't know how the ordering and delivery of hops works. My issue is that this is their business, and we relied on them to know the way things are done in that business and meet the deadlines that they themselves set.

All that being said, you say you haven't ordered anything from them, so you have no skin in the game.
:mug:
This was already explained to you. They weren't given some option to take delivery of all of it at once.

They did a bad job explaining the system, but they more than likely, like I'm 99.9% sure, buy their hops on contract, and they probably did the preorder thinking they could tell LD Carlson they needed __% of their 2013 hops in the November shipment and then the remainder next year. Problem was the hop supplier messed up everyone's orders. I do not think this had anything to do with the preorder, that was just a way for LP to figure out what portion of their contract of hops to take in the first delivery of 2012.

They did a bad job explaining the system, but they more than likely, like I'm 99.9% sure, buy their hops on contract, and they probably did the preorder thinking they could tell LD Carlson they needed __% of their 2013 hops in the November shipment and then the remainder next year. Problem was the hop supplier messed up everyone's orders. I do not think this had anything to do with the preorder, that was just a way for LP to figure out what portion of their contract of hops to take in the first delivery of 2012.

Agreed....I'm sure Hop Union/LD Carlson is a big part of the delay, but of course the people that took my money almost two months ago, and said I'd have my product a month ago is who I'll be upset with.

I received an order of hops yesterday. I spoke with presumably the main guy who said that they were getting about $60,000 worth of hops over the weekend so they were going to be slammed. Very, very nice guy. My second shipment will be coming soon.
I'm guessing if you ordered hops that are in short supply the wait is long but I really trust label peelers.

Just got another email, got my first order (amarillo/centennial) tracking number. Hopefully I will get the second order ( Citra/Nelson) tracking number today too. Looks like they are busy packaging on a Sunday.

Just went for pre-ordered to processing. Also, while the wait has been long...its still much shorter than missing out and waiting till next crop. Oct 22nd I ordered 5 lbs. Hope they'll be here soon.
Sort of annoying that there are people who ordered after I did getting their hops. I'm going to make a batch of Tits-Up IIPA to commemorate the long wait.

KarlHungus76 said:
Just went for pre-ordered to processing. Also, while the wait has been long...its still much shorter than missing out and waiting till next crop. Oct 22nd I ordered 5 lbs. Hope they'll be here soon.
Sort of annoying that there are people who ordered after I did getting their hops. I'm going to make a batch of Tits-Up IIPA to commemorate the long wait.

It seems that most, if not all, of those people ordered leaf or 1oz packs.

Seems safe to say, as soon as LP finally were able to get the hops they busted ass. I have nothing but good things to say about these people. I know a lot of you felt as if there could have been more communication, and maybe there could have. But when I talked to Matt he said that he was getting HUNDREDS of emails every day that he was trying to get through. I think eventually they cry bagging got to be too much. I hope nobody actually cancelled their order. The hops I got were of excellent quality, some of the most aromatic I've received, especially the Citra leaf.

Latest posts

Back