Lab Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
Found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Chiller-Fryka-GmbH-Koelunit-3364-005-/390952447571?

It holds 1 gallon of glycol, can go from -10 to 40 C temperature range. I need to look into a glycol chiller for my trunk line of about 12'.

I would be willing to spend the dough on this if I knew it could work. Probably risking someone else snatching the deal, but oh well, may not be that good of a deal in the end.

Thanks for looking.

I'm sure it will have at least some capacity to cool fermenters, how much and to what temperature is a question for an engineer.

For $500 bucks, it would be a no-go....I can find a much more straight-forward option for 1/5 of the price.

I'm sure it will have at least some capacity to cool fermenters, how much and to what temperature is a question for an engineer.

For $500 bucks, it would be a no-go....I can find a much more straight-forward option for 1/5 of the price.

Fermenters are not my concern for this application. The purpose of what I'm looking to do is to chill my beer lines and tap tower which is glycol ready.

What route would you go to accomplish this? I've thought about trying to find another cheap chest freezer and running glycol through a pond pump into my lines.

If you have a little space in your keezer, you can just pump glycol (or better still, cold water plus a little glycol, which would give more heat capacity) from an old keg or similar vessel in the main keezer - say a 2.5 gal container with a pond pump on the compressor hump. It won't take much to cool 12' of trunk line, provided you've insulated it properly.

If you have a little space in your keezer, you can just pump glycol (or better still, cold water plus a little glycol, which would give more heat capacity) from an old keg or similar vessel in the main keezer - say a 2.5 gal container with a pond pump on the compressor hump. It won't take much to cool 12' of trunk line, provided you've insulated it properly.

I do have an old keg and may try this route. I just need to see about preventing evaporation from an old keg as I would need to get the power cord in and out. Suppose I could just take the lid off and make shift something. Be neat if I could use the current fittings on the corny.

I do have an old keg and may try this route. I just need to see about preventing evaporation from an old keg as I would need to get the power cord in and out. Suppose I could just take the lid off and make shift something. Be neat if I could use the current fittings on the corny.

You can adapt the post fittings under the quick disconnect posts to hose barbs (quick disconnects might restrict the flow too much), and connect the pond pump output to the gas out diptube by slipping a hose over it. Return via the beer out dip tube. Then use the pressure relief valve hole (or drill one) in the lid to run the power cord out through a grommet or cable clamp. Should give you a closed enough system that you only need to check it once in a very long while for liquid level.

Back