Kuytbier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarone00

Reaction score
So I tried brewing a kuytbier last night. When shopping for grains my home brew store only has golden naked oats. I figured i'd just see what happens when using a recipe with that much crystal malt, even if it's oat. Any idea of what I might get with that much golden naked oats? I did a decoction mash. I checked it this evening and it blew the airlock off!

5 lbs Oats, Golden Naked 41.7 %
2 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter 16.7 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt 16.7 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked 8.3 %
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 8.3 %
1 lbs Victory Malt 8.3 %

Hopped with hallertauer, saphir and nelson and used Belgian Ardennes yeast 3522

I had to do a quick google search to even know what a Kuytbier was. Looks like an interesting recipe to me. I obviously don't know much about the style, but the ingredients you used seem to make sense for a tasty brew.

The best part of this is that my search came up with a dutch wiki page and google translated it for me. I had several different translations for Kuit and kuitbier, including roe, calf/calf beer, and spawn beer.

Sounds awesome.:tank:

Yeah, I read that page also. My understanding is that it's a minimum of 45% oat malt, minimum 20% wheat malt and a maximum of 35% pale or pilsner malt. It tasted decent when I transferred to the carboy. Just wanted feedback from anyone who used that much golden naked oats in a recipe or any other crystal malt.

Oh boy, don't know about that. I know they call GNO a crystal malt but they don't taste like typical crystal to me. They are very nutty - like peanuty almost. I like them, but at around 7% in pales and browns. 42% would I expect be way too much to be palatable.

This month's Zymurgy has an article on kuytbier with recipe.

Was gonna brew this up with the zymurgy recipe using EKG & 3522. Just wanted to see how yours came out. Never used that strain before but it sounds great.

:mug:

The beer came out pretty decent. Very citrusy aroma. The nuttyness I was expecting from the large amount of golden naked wasn't present at all. I would like to do this recipe again with the golden naked percentage brought down and compare the two. The Ardennes really came through too.

Thanks! I'm gonna try and use Thomas fawcett Oak malt like in the zymurgy recipe and see how it goes. Cheers

Hey, so I wanted to reopen this post because I found it's difficult to find a recipe/information on kuytbier. I've brewed/tweaked this recipe over the last few years and it's won a few awards. I'm actually brewing this today in preparation for the NHC finals. It won the historical beer category for the Philadelphia region.

I'm no longer using golden naked oats or flaked oats. I'm sticking with oat malt, white wheat malt, and pale malt (in my recipe I have a touch of victory and munich, to mimic a maris otter/golden promise.

With regards to the mash, I do a step mash (this mash is the same mash found in the Zymurgy article on Kuytbier):
Mash in @ 113F for 20min
Raise mash temperature to 143F and rest for 30 minutes
Raise mash temperature to 161F and rest for 30 minutes
Raise mash temperature to 170 for mash out

As far as yeast goes i've used both a Belgian and Kolsch strain (Imperial yeast Gnome and Dieter) with success. I prefer the Gnome (Ardennes) strain personally but they both work well. For the Gnome I ferment at 68-70F and with Dieter I go 63-65F.

Here's the recipe:

Style: Kuytbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.99 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grist:
6lbs Oat Malt 43.6%
4.25lbs 2-row 30.9%
2.5lbs Wheat Malt 18.2%
4oz Victory Malt 1.8%
4oz Munich Malt 1.8%
8oz Rice Hulls 3.6%

Hops
:
.5oz Loral @ FWH 22 IBU
.35oz Loral @ 10min 5 IBU
.5oz Loral @ Dryhop for 3-5 days

Mash:
Mash-in: 113F for 20min
Mash-step: 143F for 30min
Mash-step: 161F for 30min
Mash-out: 170F for 10min

Yeast:
Imperial Yeast B45 Gnome (WY3522 Ardennes/Achouffe) @68-70F
Imperial Yeast G03 Kieter (German ale/Kolsch) @63-65F

Let me know what you guys think and if you brew it, give me some feedback!

Looks interesting. I'm on a bit of a 'historical beer quest' at the moment, and will probably give this a go (and WY3522 is one of my favourite yeasts). How messy does the mash get with that much oat and wheat? Do you BIAB? Do you get sparge issues?

I brew on a Robobrew V3 and haven't had issues with the mash. It's like any other mash honestly, I think the hulls from the oat malt and the rice hulls really help. The 113F mash also adds to that too.

Back