Kronenbourg blanc extract clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgdsraj

Reaction score
Hi all ,

Edit:
Wondering if anyone has a basic recipe for a witbier (LME) that i could modify to suit my needs or if anyone has enough knowledge that its easy for them to put together a simple recipe... also is there anything bad with adding actual juices of oranges (fermenting into methanol?) and should i add flaked wheat...ive never done a partial mash but hear i could do such a thing..? Thanks

Thusfar my recipe looks like:
3lb wheat dme
3lb pilsen light or golden light lme ( which one should i use)
steep 1lb flaked wheat for 35 minutes at 70C or should i use wheat malt
steep 0.5lb crystal 10 with wheat
steep 0.1lb carared
steep 0.15lb amber malt
steep 0.25lb honey malt
1oz crystal (they dont have strissespalt at my store) for 60
1oz crystal for 15
0.5 oz citra at flameout
irish moss 1tsp for 15
zest of 2 oranges soaked in vodka overnight in secondary
1tsp coriander for 5

i cant really understand how much lme or dme i have to add so this is baed on my basic ideas...any thing im doing wrong in the recipe?

I was looking to brew a kronenbourg blanc clone but was wondering how i might do so or if its possible using extract. I dont have the equipment to do all grain brews (new to brewing) so was wondering if i could make a light LME beer and add the additives in this recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/182011/

Was also wondering what they mean by "Oranges and zest (vodka tincture added to keg) " how would i add this. Could i add oranges to secondary, or would the oranges end up fermenting and creating off flavors?

Was thinking of using a light ale recipe, making it light as possible (using flaked wheat steep or a lighter barley roast) and keeping it clear with irish moss etc. Im thinking the flavor would not be exactly kronenbourg but would be very good. I dont have wheat lme or know if they make such a thing but would be doing all barley.

EDIT: they do have bavarian wheat dme at my homebrew store http://www.barleyshomebrewing.com/

Thanks

Wheat dme is typically 50% wheat/ 50% barley. So you could use that with a bit of pils extract (or whatever the lightest extract you can get) to get the approximate %s.

The oranges and zest in vodka is a way of sanitizing the spices added to the secondary. Basically zest 5 oranges, add enough decent vodka to cover. Wait a few days, and if adding to the keg, drain and add the orange flavored vodka. If adding to the secondary, drop it all in. 5 oranges worth of zest sounds like a lot. Id use 2, unless you want an orange bomb.

The most important thing here is using the wit yeast. That will add alot of the flavor.

+1^ Couldn't agree more. Even 2 oranges zested sounds like a lot.

You cannot add wheat flakes to an extract brew. It won't do anything good.

WY3944 or WLP400 are great Witbier yeasts. You do have to make a starter (look it up) or pitch 2 packs/tubes.

+1^ Couldn't agree more. Even 2 oranges zested sounds like a lot.

You cannot add wheat flakes to an extract brew. It won't do anything good.

WY3944 or WLP400 are great Witbier yeasts. You do have to make a starter (look it up) or pitch 2 packs/tubes.

I will look into that and see if theres any available at barleys. Have you made any beers with orange zest before? Will i get a strong enough flavor from two oranges? I want it to be a definite easily identifiable taste but not overpowering. Also was hoping for some citrus aroma which i expect i could get from dry hopping or adding flame out.

Wheat dme is typically 50% wheat/ 50% barley. So you could use that with a bit of pils extract (or whatever the lightest extract you can get) to get the approximate %s.

The oranges and zest in vodka is a way of sanitizing the spices added to the secondary. Basically zest 5 oranges, add enough decent vodka to cover. Wait a few days, and if adding to the keg, drain and add the orange flavored vodka. If adding to the secondary, drop it all in. 5 oranges worth of zest sounds like a lot. Id use 2, unless you want an orange bomb.

The most important thing here is using the wit yeast. That will add alot of the flavor.

Thanks for the replies, I know its a lot to ask but as a new brewer, i was wondering if someone might be able to make a basic outline of the recipe im constructing. How many pounds of the pils and wheat extract would i need for a 5-6 gallon batch and what hops are the most citrusy? Any steeping grains i should consider? Sorry for all the questions, thanks!

You need roughly 7 lbs of extract total. Id go 6 wheat, 1 pils for what you have above. The typical unmalted wheat or oats wont do anything good if just steeping. Most grains that would do something in a steep, wont be a positive addition to a wit.

You are looking for 20 ibu. Something like styrian goldings, saaz, or strisselspalt would be traditional. If you dont care about traditional, citra, centenial, or mouteka would be good choices. You can read the descriptions at hopunion.com, they tend to be accurate. Add a 1/2 oz to 1 oz at 15 min and 3 min. As for the 60 min addition you will need to use an IBU calculator, cause each hop has a different level of bittering; you want 20 ibu total. Brewersfriend.com has a good selection of free calculators.

1 think the zest of one large orange, or two small oranges added at flameout will be plenty. Id get rid of the dry peel and and keg addition. Go to a produce market and pick out a variety of citrus with a nice smell. That smell is what you are getting, dont use a dubious walmart orange from a sack (unless it actually smells strongly). That amount is what I usually use in a wit. If you want it strong use twice that. 5 oranges, + dried peel, seems quite excessive.

A 1/2 teaspoon of coriander is good.

Nice recipe and process ^

Let me add a few notes:
The coriander you want is the seeds, not the weeds (those are called cilantro). If you have an Indian spice store around, get them there (best and cheap) or any other (super)market (quality unknown, usually older, but OK for this). You'll need about a tablespoon of whole seeds. They are hollow, once crushed you'll end up with about half a teaspoon. You could add a whole teaspoon but the spice taste will be much more assertive. Not everyone likes that.

You can give them a slight toast in a skillet, dry, no oil. Keep tossing them over medium heat until a shade darker, perhaps 1 minute. They become fragrant, which is what you're after. Definitely not dark brown, you're not making curry. Then crush coarsely with mortar and pestle, or in a baggie with a hammer.

Zesting:
You only want the color part of the peel, none of the white pith (very bitter).
Again, add at flameout and stir while chilling, you don't want to boil them.

Adding Malt Extract:
If you're doing a full boil (5.5-6 gallons in kettle), add 1/3 to 1/2 of your total extract at the beginning of the boil, the rest at flameout. Don't worry, it will be pasteurized. That way the flavor remains fresher (less cooked) while keeping the color lighter.

Nice recipe and process ^

Let me add a few notes:
The coriander you want is the seeds, not the weeds (those are called cilantro). If you have an Indian spice store around, get them there (best and cheap) or any other (super)market (quality unknown, usually older, but OK for this). You'll need about a tablespoon of whole seeds. They are hollow, once crushed you'll end up with about half a teaspoon. You could add a whole teaspoon but the spice taste will be much more assertive. Not everyone likes that.

You can give them a slight toast in a skillet, dry, no oil. Keep tossing them over medium heat until a shade darker, perhaps 1 minute. They become fragrant, which is what you're after. Definitely not dark brown, you're not making curry. Then crush coarsely with mortar and pestle, or in a baggie with a hammer.

Zesting:
You only want the color part of the peel, none of the white pith (very bitter).
Again, add at flameout and stir while chilling, you don't want to boil them.

Adding Malt Extract:
If you're doing a full boil (5.5-6 gallons in kettle), add 1/3 to 1/2 of your total extract at the beginning of the boil, the rest at flameout. Don't worry, it will be pasteurized. That way the flavor remains fresher (less cooked) while keeping the color lighter.

Thanks, I do have coriander seeds. So I am only using the zest of the two oranges and that should be enough for 6 gal?

Thanks, I do have coriander seeds. So I am only using the zest of the two oranges and that should be enough for 6 gal?

Only? I think it's quite a lot. It will definitely taste like orange.

For comparison, I add 7 grams of dried bitter orange peel, which I find enough. Recipe is in the sidebar under my Avatar.

thanks for all your replies..i edited it with my new questions

Not sure what you edited or are asking. :confused:
If your brew store has that Wheat DME, go for it.

Looked it up for you:
CBW® Bavarian Wheat DME
65% Malted Wheat / 35% Malted Barley

So 65% Wheat. Use as much as you want. I'd use 80-100%. And heed to the instruction we've posted above.

https://byo.com/stories/item/1647-witbier-style-profile

heres an article about wits in general. Its not an easy style to do with extract as traditionally it contains large amounts of unmalted ingredients which require mashing. So id just use pretty much 80-100 wheat lme or dme as stated above.

Thanks so much! That article answers all my questions and is basically exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again!

Back