Krausening in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renard

Reaction score
Hi!

I am gonna try krausening in just a few days and I need help to get it right.
I've seen alot of formulas for this but they are either to simple or to complicated and I need one that takes a little bit more into account without needing to know my attenuation level or such...

I am going to do this in a keg so it's not the end of the world if I get the numbers wrong but it would be nice to be able to perform a successful krausening. :)

I am going to carbonate with unfermented wort from the same beer btw so the OG is the same.

So does anyone have a reliable formula?

The beer: IPA 9L into a 9L keg
OG: between 1,055-1,060(broken hydrometer... :(
FG: 1,010

Btw it's my first time kegging as well, Do I fill the keg 9 litres if it is a 9L keg or do I leave some head space in there?

Pardon my spelling btw I am from Sweden...

Thanks!

Assuming you want to raise the gravity of 9l of your beer by .03, by adding 1.05 wort, I get that you'd want to add .8l of unfermented wort. I'm bad at showing my work, though!

For jkaylor and ILoveBeer2:
I am going to carbonate my beer using unfermented wort that's been frozen from brew day. And the reson I am doing this in a keg is so I can easily adjust the result with Co2 or bleeding if I over or under carbed the beer.

ong:
Aha thanks so if I understand you right: I add 0.8 litres of unfermended wort to 9L of beer and the gravity will increase .03.
Wich will result in a quite common carbonation right?

Did you mean 9L with or without the unfermented wort btw?

Thanks! :)

Renard said:
For jkaylor and ILoveBeer2:
ong:
Aha thanks so if I understand you right: I add 0.8 litres of unfermended wort to 9L of beer and the gravity will increase .03.
Wich will result in a quite common carbonation right?

Did you mean 9L with or without the unfermented wort btw?

Thanks! :)

My calculation didn't account for the added volume of the Krausen wort, so you'd end up with 9.8l. This link has a more precise formula for calculating the Krausen volume:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Accurately_Calculating_Sugar_Additions_for_Carbonation

Aha thanks! :D Do you know if there is any difference between doing it in a keg vs bottles?

I've heard that if you use DME or sugar for carbonation you do it with half the amount when kegging vs bottling.

People say different things. :(

Back