Krausen *will not* fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichlerguy

Reaction score
Hi, all,

I've got a pale ale sitting in the fermenter for going on 14 days with WLP060 and cannot get it to stop. The gravity is above target. There's still visible yeast in suspension. Gravity hasn't changed in days. I tried pitching an extra vial of WLP060 on top. I've tried gentle shaking. Still, nothing.

Ideas? Rack it? I advance, thanks, all.
--
Ray

A recipe with starting and current gravities would help. It could be done, could be stalled, who knows? There's not much info here.

I had an ups just do the same.... Sometimes the krausen will stick to the sides and form a lid.... I just gave my bucket a few quick twists back and forth breaking the seal if the krausen and bucket.... It all fell and I racked within a few hours

This is happening to me right now too. I have a Wit bier that will not fall. Its been in the primary for about 10 days. It was a midwest extract kit. I used the WLBelgian yeast. I am going to give it a little agitation to see if I can't get the krauzen to fall. It has been setting at the same SG 1.019 for the past 2 days.

Krausens can be just as unpredictable as airlock bubbling. My wits with bottle harvest hoegaarden yeast averages about 3 weeks with krausens, even though the hydro readings show terminal gravity has been reached. Some krausen's have been known to dissapear after 24 hours or so. I don't believe there's ever anything "normal" in brewing where the yeast is concerned.

That's why you really need to check your gravity.

i had that happen to me. so i just racked from underneath it. no big deal. and it tasted good going into the bottle. mine was a blond ale. next time ill try the twist!!

Back