Krausen Vs. Blowoff Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infestation

Reaction score
48 hours into my first fermentation, and damn my yeast looks angry. Vicious bubbling and I am starting to run out of head space. How concerned should I be about a potential mess, or should the blow off tube do the trick? Thanks for the help.

Krausen.jpg

I don't use a blow-off tube but shouldn't the dispensing area for the blow-off be lower than the fermenter? Edit: it even seems like it could turn into a siphon and head into the beer.

IMG_20180311_193525.jpg you should be fine it looks okay bubble on your way the above-mentioned was correct about your blow off to being too high the concern is suck back but if it hasn't happened leave it you'll notice that the white tub is lower I've had to suck back happen halfway up

Well, the tube from the LHBS when I asked for a blow off tube isn't long enough to touch the floor. I did not realize this suck back was a thing. Should I replace the tubing or take my chances at this point? Would suck back cause a siphoning effect or would just a little volume be taken up? I don't particularly know if some hasn't been sucked.

edit: Using the magic of electricians tape, I was able to make the tube just long enough to rest my bucket on the ground. If it gulped up a little bit of my one step solution, its not visibly lower and I doubt mixed in with 23 L it would kill me.

Last edited:
U can just put the two containers side by side. Take away the bottom container under the blow off pale. Long as the blow off tube is submerged in water it will be fine. No chance of siphoning then either. I've personally been using a small pot for each of my blow off containers. Does just as well as a bucket, and less water, less space is required. You are basically providing an air lock which can withstand a little more pressure than those small plastic bunged air locks can manage.

Your krausen looks healthy to me, but I am no expert. Might want to get an adult to answer that one.

Last edited:
If the yeast gets into the airlock liquid, no big deal. Just change the liquid and clean/sanitize the tube after fermentation slows down. Happens to me all the time.

Back