Krausen seeping out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
I just noticed some krausen leaked out of my Belgian wit (wlp 400)
I can't say when but I know why, not enough head space
Sunday it was bubbling beautifully and today wednesday I came back to check on it and found the soil.
Is it ruined?
Can it be fixed ?
Shall I keep going with the fermentation and hope for a miracle?

What's that acronym from Charlie Papazian? No need to fret. I often have krausen seep out of the blowoff tube into the jug. It will calm down- sounds like you have a good ferment going.

No panic? This is not complete my from the blow off tube but from underneath the lid
It lifted the lid and out it came,, the whole 2-3 tbs of it
I assume air went in the brew too I don't know

No panic? This is not complete my from the blow off tube but from underneath the lid
It lifted the lid and out it came,, the whole 2-3 tbs of it
I assume air went in the brew too I don't know

co2 is coming out, little to no air is going in. There is a blanket of co2 above the wort so oxygen that is lighter will not get through.

Wild yeast and bacteria cannot fly, so they cannot navigate up and under the lid so contamination is also not a worry.

There is no reason to get concerned here. When the activity lessens tighten the lid.

I recommend you start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube installed. It will alleviate this type of concern.

Back