Krausen or infection in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsianMead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I've noticed this thing in my current batch.
I've transferred my beer to the secondary 6 days ago, day 1-5 it seem OK until last night I've seen this thing happen on the surface of my beer.
I'm not sure what it is because I did not familiar to this thing in the secondary before.
The started OG was 1.052 and FG at the transferred was 1.010

Anyone have any experiences about this to share?

IMG_0201.JPG

What was the reason to use a secondary? And when you do, secondaries are supposed to have minimal headspace.

Keep an eye on it, if the surface haze becomes larger and thicker it's likely an infection growing a pellicle. Is some of it clinging to the far side?

What was the reason to use a secondary? And when you do, secondaries are supposed to have minimal headspace.

Keep an eye on it, if the surface haze becomes larger and thicker it's likely an infection growing a pellicle. Is some of it clinging to the far side?

It's larger since the first saw, last batch I also transferred to secondary for the reason of clearer beer and the head apace was like this without any problem.

Will keep an eye on it, thanks

Secondaries are rarely needed. They can cause more problems, such as oxidation, infection and under-attenuation. You can leave the beer simply in the primary for 3-6 weeks. Not or minimally disturbing the headspace (CO2) is advantageous.

Cold crashing gives clearer beer, secondaries do not. If it's still hazy after a 3-7 days of cold crashing, use some gelatin. Some yeast is less flocculant and needs that extra help.

Keep those fingers crossed. If something develops, rack from underneath, package and drink quickly. It will get sour with time.

Back