Krausen-less

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
Last night I made a porter (by using death brewers partial mash sticky I was able to complete my first all-grain batch, thanks to him for the info) and pitched a packet of Nottingham. I went to bed and woke up to the sweet sound of my blow off tube bubbling in a jar of water. When I looking to the carboy I noticed there was no krausen, just little tiny bubbles. After I returned home from work I checked again, no krausen despite plenty of bubbling from the blow off tube. I AM NOT WORRIED since it seems to be fermenting (bubbling!!!!), but am curious if anyone has ever experienced a krausen-less fermentation with Nottingham. Again, I am not worried.

Pitched at 72, dropped it down to 68 since.

I actually had this same thing happen with a beer I pitched notty in 3 weeks ago. My gravity hasn't dropped like normal either so I'm not sure what the deal is. It only went from 1.052 to 1.030 in two weeks, usually notty is a work horse so I'm stumped. I posted something but didn't get much feedback so I'm hoping you have better luck.

My recipe was 4lbs pilsner, 3lbs flaked maize and 1.5lbs 6 row. So a bit different but same reaction from the notty.

Don't think I have ever had that happen. Most of my brews are in a bucket. Like you I would not worry since you can see it.

It has only been a day (barely), so I am going to wait on any gravity readings. Fermentation seemed to progress as it normally does and the bubbling seems pretty steady. I will keep you posted on what happens.
Kind of wish I would have checked the date on my Nottingham.
Anyways, thanks for the replies .

Just in case anyone is interested in what happened; the beer has been in primary for two weeks now. I took a gravity reading after 6 days and the gravity was at 1.034. I waited one more day, took another reading at 1.034. I wanted to rule out lackluster yeast vs. a mash temp that was way too high, so I pitched a starter of WLP001 a just had it lying around ;). There was a little bubbling, nothing to write home about. Took a gravity three days after pitching the WLP001 and it read ..... 1.034.

In conclusion, 162*F is way too high to mash at. I am sure everyone already knew this, but here is some more proof, hahaha.
Oh well, it's a porter, and it doesn't taste awful, so a successful learning experience!

Latest posts

Back