Krausen gone after a couple days?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
I brewed my first hefe and used wlp300. Im not sure what i did wrong but i pitched on saturday, fermentation took off great when i woke up on sunday with a nice white krausen, come wednesday the krausen was gone and nothing is happening in the airlock. everything is tight and i know not to trust the airlock but i read that this yeast can have some crazy krausen and i dont have that going on. Im still going to let it sit a full 2 weeks, just want some reassurance that i havent messed up.

Depending on the size of the yeast pitch and the temperature, it may be close to done fermenting. Let it sit and take a hydrometer sample after two weeks; that will tell you for sure. In the exceedingly unlikely case that the fermentation got stuck, waiting a couple of weeks before fixing the problem is not going to hurt anything.

It sounds fine, every fermentation is different. I've had the krausen fall as quick as yours and I've also had some where I had to rack to the bottling bucket from underneath an old krausen. Yours sound fairly normal to me though. What temperature did you have it at? Higher temps will make fermenation go a lot faster.

I underpitched on purpose to bring out the banana flavors and i have my swamp cooler at 71-72 also for those banana flavors. Need thows flavors to live up to the name, Galaxian Monkey Balls :tank:

Yeah that's pretty warm, I'd say it's probably just done fermenting.

The only way to tell would be to observe the gravity over a period, say several days, and see if there's any change. It may be done fermenting, as quick as it seems.

Back