Krausen fell early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Tripel, which came out very heavy and I ended up with a higher volume.

I pitched probably about 300 billion yeast cells, into well aerated wort and it started rolling within 8 hours!

The 7 gallon carboy is filled almost up to where it tapers and the Krausen started forming right away, nice and healthy!

The next day, I had a problem with my furnace not turning off all day. The ferm temp was up to 75 degrees at one point (which is well within the range of the yeast, but I'm afraid got too warm too early).

It's somewhat an earthquake constantly in my hous with three toddlers running and bouncing off the walls (literally).

I don't know if it was the house tremors or the ferm temp that caused the krausen to fall so early. It's chugging away quite nicely still and smells really nice, but looks a little weird with the dense dark krausen that is barely there and falls soon after it gathers.

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Sound s pretty normal for a Belgian strain. They can act quick and then take awhile to eek out the points slowly, just check gravity in about 10 days and go from there.

Do try to get some temp control though, yeast don't like a lot of fluctuating:)

So, the krausen having fallen so early doesn't mean anything bad?

I read something about head retention being related to protein in the beer. If the Krausen is like this, could it mean I have a problem with protein? If so, how do I remedy this issue for future batches?

I've always had problems getting good head (no pun intended). What can I do to improve this? Something tells me it's in the recipe, and I want to think that it has to do with the ratio of crystal malts to primary grain (or whatever it's called).

So, the krausen having fallen so early doesn't mean anything bad?

I read something about head retention being related to protein in the beer. If the Krausen is like this, could it mean I have a problem with protein? If so, how do I remedy this issue for future batches?

I've always had problems getting good head (no pun intended). What can I do to improve this? Something tells me it's in the recipe, and I want to think that it has to do with the ratio of crystal malts to primary grain (or whatever it's called).

No, nothing bad, every yeast will behave differently.

As for head retention, yes there are many variables involved in this including something as simple as dirty glassware but one would need to see a recipe, process and all the details to determine what, if anything is causing you to not be getting good head and retention on your beers.

It's normal. The krausen rises, the krausen falls. Fermentation will continue after peak krausen and it's completely normal. Most of it will settle out in the trub layer at the bottom. What doesn't will be clinging to the sides of your fermenter in a scummy looking ring of gunk. Every fermentation is different.

Back