Kombucha secondary fermentation fails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just need some advice on my kombucha secondary fermentation.

In my 5 batches or so I've never had good carbonation. I keep increasing the fermentables but the result seems the same.

Latest brew was 10 days in primary at room temp for 10 days, around 70-75f. Seemed to go well and tastes good, nice level of sourness.

I bottle into glass with 3 teaspoons (15ml) of table sugar granules per 16oz bottle. I measured out the sugar individually for each bottle. This is double what I'd use for bottle conditioning beer. After 2 weeks at room temperature, almost no carbonation. If this was beer, these would be gushers.

I'm not sure why these aren't carbonating? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Previous brews I've used flavoured syrups and fruit instead of sugar and also almost no carbonation with those either.

Are you botteling to flip tops? If you are, make sure your rubber seals are all mint.

Ive just started into kombucha a few weeks ago.

Typically I take 1 cup of my flavor (which has been gauva nectar or Raspberry Arizona iced Tea) add it to 750ml wine bottle, followed by 2 cups of kombucha. I use a rubber wine stopper cork, and let it sit for 24 hours. Usually around the 24 hour mark, the cork will blow off itself, or when you check it youll let the surge out. By this point its almost as carbinated as a bottle of pop. This is when i start drinking it (usually finish a 750ml bottle in 2 days) and the carbination doesn't get too much more intense by the time i finish it.

The biggest difference i can tell, is i bottle to secondary after about 3-5 days of primary. I dont like the buch too acidic.

Thanks. I'm capping and the seals are good. This batch is several weeks at room temp now and still only very mild carbonation.

It's like that sugar I added either isn't getting fermented or isn't generating the same amount of CO2 that it would in beer, which I find odd.

A cup of flavour sounds like a lot more sugar than what I'm adding so maybe I should just try adding more.

Back