Kombucha Kit Rec? Fermentaholics pro kit any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsburghBuchBoy

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into brewing and was checking out some of the kits available online.

What I'm looking for...
Glass/stainless steel. Two gallon if I'm doing a CB, one gallon for batch brewing. Definitely want a spigot. Heating pad looks to be ideal for maintaining 80C. I have a temp gun and pH meter.

Is this kit too overpriced to justify? (link)

I have experience in baking and aquarium keeping so I'm looking to expand my horizons of yeast/bacteria husbandry.

If you have a list of links for a DIY package of starter supplies, let me know! Thanks!

Personally, I think the "pro" kit looks like over kill. I use a 1 gallon glass jar I had previously used for lacto fermenting vegetables and bottle into used soda bottles. Ambient room temperature in the upper 60s to low 70s F has worked fine

I've bought 2 Fermentaholics SCOBYs and both took about 1-2 months to really get going, so be prepared. The first time I thought I was doing something wrong and gave up. The second time I saw the pattern, kept at it, and now produce great kombucha.

All brewing kits (aside from beer ingredient kits) are usually garbage. Build your own. Usually you can find what you need locally, and for cheap. Hardware stores, bottle returns, thrift shops, garage sales, Craigslist, OfferUp, FB Marketplace…….

Back