Kombucha cider???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdid84

Reaction score
I've been brewing kombucha continually now for two months, mine ends up with a very tart cider like flavor..... So I was wondering "what else can I do with this liquid from the gods". I came across several articles about making kombucha wine, but somehow my mind got stuck on kombucha cider. Here is what I did

Kombucha stock:
2lb raw cane sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 cups black tea
4 cups oolong tea
Tea was seeped over night( extra strong)
4 cups starter tea from last batch
Rest of glass jar was filled with water make around 4-5 gallons of tea.

Scoby was added and was left to ferment for 6 days- then bottled for second fermentation for 3 days.

Cider stock.
honey crisp 3 apples
Pink ladies 4 apples
Gala 4 apples
All were peeled and added to a blender with 16oz of kombucha stock
Apple sauce mixture was then bottled and set aside for 3 days while I waited for yeast to Arrive.

Kombucha cider

Cider mixture was strained and added to a gallon glass jug with one cup of sugar this was a little over a half gallon- remaining was filled with kombucha stock, red star Champagne yeast (2/3) was mixed with warm water and a pinch of yeast nutrient.

Instant fizz and bubbling looks like it is going great.... Smells damn good.

So has anyone tried this before?
What troubles might I run into?
Will I get tasteful paint thinner or a great tasting cider?

Cider noob here so I'm not sure on time frames how many racks...

Thoughts???
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401845034.595861.jpg

i'm just doing my first batch of Kombucha, but have made lots of cider. this sounds like a solid recipe to me. I'will be following the thread. very interested to see how this turns out. I bet the fermentation is vigorous in this!! :rockin:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401930362.702344.jpg

Day four since yeast was added, occasional fart smell from air lock but overall has a pleasant smell to it

I think if you added a scoby and a little starter tea the champagne yeast was probably unnecessary. Champagne yeast also has a way of overpowering other organisms and killing them, but maybe you'll produce some kind of super-scoby? Apple fermentations are always nasty smelling (same with pears) and I find most finished cider to be really tart, with the added tartness of kombu I wonder how this would taste, good pics and info makes it a reality! Keep on truckin'

Thanks, no I brewed the kombucha and after the second fermentation I added that to the cider stock, I was wondering about the tartness as well so with my cider stock I tried to use the sweeter apples instead of the tarter ones

Looks like the one gallon hard cider batches I brew for experiments..also kinda looks like you may have over pitched the yeast.which means cloudy y easty brew

Keep in the secondary atleast till gravity is stable id think..then maybe longer to bulk condition..its kind of a weird hybrid..I make lots of ciders myself..every now and then I like to add a bit of fresh brewed Earle grey to add some tannin to it..it usually takes a little longer to condition.but I think thats pretty much up to your taste

I plan on trying this when the apples are in season. I will be following the thread to see how it turns out.

So i finally decided to share this with some friends, all were positive about it, has a wine taste at first but as it hit the back of your mouth you pick up the different apple in it. So seems to be a good first attempt, will play around with it and post on how the second batch goes

Do you know the abv, or a close guess?. The way I plan to do it is make my 4 gallon batch of hard cider like normal and then add finished kombucha into a secondary ferment. I will probably do 4 gallons of unpasteurized cider with a cider yeast and no extra sugar (depends on apples but usually ends up around 5% abv for me) then after a week I will rack to secondary and add one gallon of strong finished kombucha. I'm not sure how long after that I should let it sit though, to bottle it I will need to give it a long time to make sure there is no more fermentation going. I may just treat it like wine only with an open top and rack it every two months for 6-9 months total and then bottle.

I mixed a couple glasses with homemade Apple wine and kombucha and it was really good, I might just make more Apple wine and then blend it with kombucha to taste in my bottling bucket before bottling it I will just need to make sure it is a strong kombucha with all the sugar fermented out of it before it gets bottled and builds pressure

This does sound very interesting, but my first thought is wouldn't this end up tasting kind of like a weaker apple cider vinegar? I think blending may the way to go if you're trying to avoid that exact flavour profile.

Blending in my cup has been working out great so I will probably just keep making them separate and doing that. I also experimented with blending it with a cheaper lambic beer and that was excellent. Just a small amount of a raspberry lambic gave a full glass of kombucha great flavor.

Back