Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangways

Reaction score
I am planning a Kolsch to brew this weekend, and I am looking for opinions on which is better for the style: Wyeast 2565, White Labs WLP029, or other option I have not thought of.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had good results with the Wyeast on 3 separate occasions. It really needs a cold crash though, mine did not flocc well. I personally dont care that much so it didnt bother me.

I've been using WLP029 for years. It's excellent in many styles of beer, not just Kolsch. It's by far my favorite yeast choice for American Wheat beers, and I use it a lot for American Pales and IPAs too. Very versatile yeast.

Love2brew happens to have the ECY Kolsch yeast, which is what I would buy if I was in the market. They also have the ever elusive ECY01 Bugfarm in stock right now.
http://www.love2brew.com/East-Coast-Yeast-Liquid-Yeast-s/217.htm

WY1007 is a pretty standard German ale yeast which I have used for Kolsch before. I think this one works nicely, too. Very low ester production.

2565 got me 3rd place overall at the NC state fair. I fermented warmer (around 65) and then cold crashed and then let it clear up in the keg for about 2 months. First few beers off the keg were a little cloudy but after that it was great. Definitely benefited from the 2 months in the keg though. Strong sulfur smell right out of the primary when I opened the lid, but that went away very fast as I transferred to the keg. (I didn't do a secondary out of laziness, but did use a mesh hop bag over the auto siphon to filter it).

I went with the 2565 with a starter. Very active fermentation at 59-60 F at about 12 hours. As soon as gravity stabilizes, I plan on racking to secondary and lagering until it clears. Thanks for the help

Back