Kolsch Yeast Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 199714

Reaction score
OK - another one from me. I think I'm fine, but wanted to get your input.

I pitched a Wyeast 2565 Kolsch about 4 weeks ago. After 1 week in the primary I racked to a glass carboy secondary and it's been there since. Here's the thing... I cooled the secondary to around 50-52 degrees for two weeks to attempt a cold conditioning. After two weeks I brought it back up to room temperature and it 'started' to ferment again (evidenced by steady airlock activity). I kept it for this last week at room temp and it's still bubbling away, mind you at slower intervals.

I obviously can't bottle now, but won't be able to get to it till after the holidays - another two weeks. Is a total of 6 weeks (5 weeks in secondary off the primary trub) too long or am I OK? From what I've read it most definitely is, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks everyone!

You need a hydrometer to determine whether fermentation is complete or not by taking a couple measurements a few days apart. Cold water can hold more gas in solution than warm water. The CO2 that dissolved into your beer at the cold temperatures is now being released at the warmer temperature due to reduced solubility.

Your fermentation is most likely complete and ready to bottle. I wold cold crash for a few days to drop out the yeast (it is very powdery) unless it is part of your desired flavor profile.

Was the beer done fermenting when you racked to the secondary? If not, let the beer finish before transferring. Otherwise you will have a lower yeast population to clean up off flavors... That being said, it would be best to do your d-rest in the primary as well. So let the beer ride in the primary until the Krausen starts to fall, then raise the temp to perform the d-rest. After a few more days and increased temp, the beer should be done. You can confirm this by taking SG readings. Then rack to secondary to cold crash and clear your beer if that is your goal.

5 weeks in the secondary shouldn't hurt the beer

This is/was one of my favorite yeasts, especially for cream ales and pseudo lagers. It will ferment fast and wild above ~68 and will need a blow-off tube (especially if repitched) and give you some fruitiness and 1-3 day fermentation times. But will also chug away for several weeks at 50-55 degrees for a lager clean beer. I've never found it to produce much diacetyl, but warming the beer near the end of a cold fermentation will help to clean up the flavor greatly. You can then slowly cool the beer (about 2-4 degrees per day, no more than 2 degrees per adjustment) to lager it for an ever cleaner profile. Slowly cooling helps keep lager yeast from going dorment. Ale yeast will pretty much no matter what so just drop the temp.

You should be okay. I don't think it will be a problem at all to be in secondary for extended time.

Here's how I use 2565 in my Kolsches and Alts. Didn't hear if you made a starter or not. For beers fermented cooler you always want to make large starters. I make a decanted 3 qt starter for 2565 (top 2 or 3 yeast for me). I ferment at 58 for 7-8 days, then raise to 65 for 48 hrs to make sure it finishes (and clean up any diacetyl). Drop to 35 in primary (about 4 degrees drop per day), then rack to secondary over hydrated gelatin at 35F for 3 weeks. Its usually best to consume within about 3-4 weeks of that.

Didn't hear if you made a starter or not. For beers fermented cooler you always want to make large starters. I make a decanted 3 qt starter for 2565 (top 2 or 3 yeast for me). I ferment at 58 for 7-8 days, then raise to 65 for 48 hrs to make sure it finishes (and clean up any diacetyl). Drop to 35 in primary (about 4 degrees drop per day), then rack to secondary over hydrated gelatin at 35F for 3 weeks. Its usually best to consume within about 3-4 weeks of that.

X2

I forgot about making a starter for this yeast.

Back