Kolsch Gone Lacto Tastes Great- What Next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallceRVA

Reaction score
Have about 4-5 gallons of kolsch that that has a definite lactic sour tartness to it - fermented from 1.055 - 1.010. But this was this 5th generation of this yeast with no starter from batch to batch. This batch came out thicker tasting and full of a ripe peachy taste and tart fruit aroma. I've had other lacto infections in stouts before but this is actually appealing. I was thinking of trying and dry it out more by putting it in an old carboy and sticking it in the basement for 6+ months.

What is the best route? Should I look towards the Roselare yeast mix or something more highly attentuative like a saison yeast? Anyone deal with something like this before? I was even thinking of cutting up some peaches and sticking them in the secondary.

How long has it been in primary? Or, how long did it take to go from 1.055 - 1.010? Giving it more time might do the trick (And the lacto might not be done either).

If it's really stuck, I'd just throw another higher attenuating yeast. I typically just use Safale US-05 or the super yeast. US-05 is a very clean yeast and won't alter the character of an already fermented beer (For the most part).

It was in the primary 14 days, blew off aggressively for the first 3-4 days. Its been in a keg for another 14 days on low gas. I'm looking to really dry the beer out but also play on the fruity peachy notes that are present. What are the differences between a barnyard brett and a funkier fruitier brett, and would using US-05 have to have a starter beer 1.035-1.045 and pitch the slurry to do any good?

Also I work in a farmed based malting facility in Nelson, VA, so with all the lacto in the air prior from the green and steeping grain prior to malting in the air I highly suspect that to be the cause.

I wouldn't consider 1.010 stuck and I don't think S05 will take it much (if any) lower. If you want to dry it out more throw some brett in. If you want a fruitier brett try brett C. Brett B will give you the more of the farmyard flavor. Throw multiple strains in if you want.

If you throw Roselare in there it'll be a year before it's ready. Brett after primary is 2-3 months before it's noticeable. You could also just buy a bottle of something with Brett in it with no pedio and toss the dregs in. Pedio takes a lot longer to sour than lacto. Here's a list of commercial bottles with live yeast. There's a "Beers with Brett" list if you scroll down.

if you were to pitch dry yeast, i would recommend making a small starter and getting the yeast active before pitching. throwing dry yeast into a almost 6% abv beer is a rough way to wake up.

+1 to throwing in some brett C, then forgetting about it for 4 months.

Back