kolch issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayden5757

Reaction score
All the way through the brewing process my kolch smelled like chemicals and sulfer. I used dme for the first time and the yeast was some lager strain. The yeast from the start smelled like farts when I rehydrated. Basically the beer was really tough to clear but I finally got gelatin to do the trick. It sat for a loooong time and I finally bottled. The taste before bottling was just like it smelled. It was also mildly carbonated right from the carboy. It has been conditioning for about a week and I am trying one cold right now. Some of the finish isn't so harsh, but none of it matches the flavor profiles for the style. I don't think I did anything wrong at all, but I want to do it better in the future. Btw I brewed an grapefruit ipa the same day that was just amazing. It was made using the same equipment, sanitizer, and brand of ingredients/yeast. Does the kolch just need to condition for like 2 months or something.

Thanks

What yeast did you use? What temperature profile did you use for fermentation?

Real koelsch yeast is an ale yeast bred to ferment at near-lager temperatures. Like a lager, it should, ideally, be lagered (although at a higher temperature and for a shorter time than a real lager), and like a lager, it needs a diacetyl rest.

Back