Knox Gelatin Questions - Process and Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fknizner

Reaction score
This is my first time using gelatin to filter my beer. I've scoured homebrewtalk forums and have found a plethora of useful information, but still have a couple questions I was unable to find the answer to:

(1) Which substances specifically does gelatin filter out of the beer? (I.e., yeast, hop residue, proteins, etc...?)

(2) How long (in your experience) does it typically take for Knox Gelatin (specifically Knox, and not LD Carlson or some other brand) to clear beer?*

*I allowed 1 tsp of Knox Gelatin to bloom in 1 cup of ~65°F water, then heated it in short bursts (mixing it in between) until it was clear (~160°F), and then poured it it into my keg which was holding a Kölsch at ~35°F. I hooked up my CO2 and set the pressure at 2 bar. At the time of this post, the the beer/gelatin combo has remained at 35°F and 2 bar pressure for 23 hours.

Thanks!
Frank

all gelatin does is turn kind of adhesive an slowly drops to the bottom, anything it touches that’s loose will stick to it, with that said it will not work if not slowly stirred into the beer, if not it will just be a lump of gel at the bottom and do nothing

For me it usually works in a couple of days, really depends on how cold the beer is, I keep my keezer at 34 air temp

(1) Which substances specifically does gelatin filter out of the beer? (I.e., yeast, hop residue, proteins, etc...?)

Leftover cold-break proteins. Which is why it is crucial to have your beer ice cold (32-40F) when you fine with gelatin. Why? Because ---

colder beer =
more proteins precipitate =
more effective the gelatin will be.

For best results, beer should be ice-cold for at least 24 hours before adding gel, and leave ice-cold for at least 48 hours afterwards.

One other thing, after adding gel, you should gently stir the fermenter/swirl the keg to mix it in well. Otherwise, it might form a homogenous glob at the bottom.

Back