Kits or parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocnSun

Reaction score
Buckets are cheap. other elements can be bought individually.
4 bucks for the spigot 3 bucks for a this and that. I'm thinking 40 bucks for the lot.
My question is should one try to piecemeal or just get a kit?
Being a plumber it's not that scientific to gel a kit!
I also have 4- 5 gal containers that would make fermenters.
I have a brew pot and a 5 gal glass carboy.
I have been wanting to do this for a year but time was not on my side.
Now I have plenty of time but not much on the funds side.:mug:

Whatever works for you, I never got a kit and bought everything separately. This time of year you might find some kits on sale for cheap enough to make them worth your while, since retailers are starting to gear up for the holiday season. When I started out, I tried to make do with things I had around the house or things I thought I could get a home depot and for most of those things it never really worked and I ended up spending more money. Since you're a plumber, I'm assuming your technical knowledge base is far superior to where I was when I was first getting my stuff together.

I bought a Groupon which was a basic kit for $30. I upgraded it in shop to the deluxe and was happy I did.

I realize people start with less but I believe it was key to start with the fermenter, bottling bucket, capper, thermometer, hydrometer, spoon, racking cane, bottle want, auto syphon, etc. Then I got the brew kettle and after the first brew and realizing how cruddy my stove was, I bought a turkey fryer burner and propane tank. A kit is helpful for sure, but not necessary. I don't know if you save much by buying a kit.

I've only bought more fermentation vessels, muslin bags, and of course caps since I've started.

If you buy a cheap starter kit it will include everything necessary to brew beer except for the pot, bottles, and ingredients. While you may be able to save a few dollars by making your own kit, if you miss an item it means another trip to the store and those store trips cost time and money. If you save a couple dollars and go with a 5 gallon fermenter, plan on only doing 3 1/2 gallon batches and figure out how to separate the ingredients if you buy a ready made kit or do the math and scale it yourself. There are better ways to save money in my opinion.

Yeah I would say a kit is a good start and like Hello said you can normally catch a groupon for a good deal on a kit and an included first recipe kit with it. you will most likely end up with a bunch of stuff that you will upgrade and not use but overall I thought starting with the kit was a good way to go. at least if you are starting from nothing anyway. Also I would recommend picking up a book like The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie P or something similar if you are just getting into it. I read that one and a few others a long time ago and actually just whipped out that book today to reference something.

edit* Also try to keep an eye out on homebrewfinds.com you can see when there is a deal or groupon right there. as a matter of fact I think I saw on there the other day for a starter kit from Northern Brewer

If you can get a LHBS to swap and option out/In kit pieces and parts to a stock kit,, then Kit is still an option I think.
Austin Brew Supply does this.. We started with a top of the line kit, and then swapped in and out pieces I wanted... Then added options,
Days later went back and bought more, then bought stuff online, then more from a local HBS, then, some from Craigslist, then more on line.....:)

Well you get the idea.

Kit purchased June of this year.

Eleven 5 gal batches brewed and bottled or kegged so far.. brewing again today.

You can make beer with a Amazon.com supplied "Mr Beer basic kit"

After and above that... you can purchase and make equipment bits and pieces till the cows come home. ... and make beer

I started with individual parts myself. I started off kegging, so I didn't need the bottling bucket set up. I had a co-worker who brewed as well and he just kind of guided me through the parts he felt were essential and others that I'd probably be better off spending my money somewhere else.

He loves glass carboys and really that's the only purchase that I wish I wouldn't have made. Not that they are terrible, they just scare the crap out of me. Luckily I wash everything in a giant plastic wash tub, or I'd have made more than one trip to the emergency room already.

But anyways, yeah, cost wasn't as much of an issue for me as spending money on stuff I knew I would use.

I think that is what the brewing bug contains Bigger better more volume lol!
You guys are super thanks for the advise.

Back