Kits or LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you buy your malt and hops

• All or mostly online kits

• All or mostly LHBS

• Mix of the two/Both/Depends

Results are only viewable after voting.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
Where do you buy your ingredients for all-grain brewing? I see a lot of people brewing kits (I've made a few myself) and I know many just go to the LHBS. So I'm curious.

For me half of the fun is designing a recipe and tweaking it. The other half of the fun is brewing and the final 3/4 of the fun is drinking it. Probably ought to double check the math ...

How's the barley crop this year?

sorry just being a smart a**, you gotta buy your grains somewhere, right?

Actually I was thinking on a couple acres of Robust 6 row. I grow rye and oats from time to time. Mostly sweet corn though.

I have no local HBS so every two or three months I make a 2 1/2 hour one way drive to Austin Home Brew or either order online from them or another vendor.

I support my LHBS because they are really good, and have most everything I need for nearly on-line prices.
I buy on-line when the LHBS doesn't have it.

My first 2 batches came from onlne purchases, one kit was included in by homebrew "package deal". Since then I've made LHBS purchases of ingredients for their kits as listed in my recipe software they publish from their kits. And one Leffe recipe from here.

My brew club has groop buys, makes me feel bad spending $300 on beer stuff, but then I'm set for months. I buy my the best stuff off this board. The fittings from Bobby M are the ship. I gave the support money to the board becasue I don't want to loose my hook-up.

The LHBS offers separate grains, their own kits both extract and all grain, and great advice. No contest.
Actually I was thinking on a couple acres of Robust 6 row. I grow rye and oats from time to time. Mostly sweet corn though.
I'm moving in.

LHBS. It's also the home-base for my brew club so not only does the money I spend there benefit the club, albeit on a smaller level, I'm sure...but I get a members discount so it's probably cheaper than online. My last brew was 17# grist with 6 oz of hops and only cost me about 25$.

LovesIPA said:
Where do you buy your ingredients for all-grain brewing? I see a lot of people brewing kits (I've made a few myself) and I know many just go to the LHBS. So I'm curious.

Personally I like http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ where you can create your own recipe and just click to add all the items to your cart. Fast, easy, and a flat rate of $6.99 shipping

Latest posts

Back