Kit to buy for beginner to make apple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodunk

Reaction score
Total newby to brewing (if you dont count the raspberry brandy I made back in the late 70's.)
I want to brew a batch of sparkling hard apple cider, and would like some advice on what kit would work best for me. Thanks.

William

I guess that depends on how much you want to make. Do you want to make 5 gallons or just a gallon?

Get a 5 gallon carboy, a drilled stopper, and a airlock. I am making 2 1/5 gallons right now.

I just made my second cider batch through mr beer. The first one i did i used brown sugar to add a caramel flavor. The last one i did i added a can of blended blueberrys. Makes a 2 gal batch. So far so good.

For a straight hard cider, all you need is a Carboy, stopper, airlock, yeast, & cider. Anything else is optional, but I think it is good to make your first cider as simple as possible. This way you have a foundation to work from. I've got 5 gallons on week 3. I'm leaving it alone for 2 months, then bottling. I'm a fan of Spanish Ciders (dry & bubbly). Next season I'm going to crush my own apples, for this one I used Murray's cider.

Back