American Pale Ale Kiss My Ass PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagersnob

Reaction score
This is a tribute beer, dedicated to a guy that screwed me out of opening a brewery. A year ago last spring, we sat down and planned a brewery. We designed a logo, drafted a business plan, and named several flagship beers after our hometown, Decatur, Il. He wound up starting the brewery without me, after I literally taught him how to brew beer. Here's to you, Micah.

This beer is intensely dank. Part West Coast IPA, part decoction mashed Helles Bock. It finishes bone dry, has some malt flavor, and is absolutely straw colored and crystal clear.

OG: 1.078
FG: 1.013
ABV: 8.51
IBU: 104.77

10 gallon batch
10# Great Western 2 row
5# Weyermann Vienna
5# Crisp Floor Malted Maris Otter
2.5# Weyermann Munich
2.5# Briess Carapils
2# Dextrose

2124 Bohemian Lager

1oz Summit @60
2oz Columbus @30
2oz Falconer's Flight @15
2oz Centennial @ 10
2oz Falconer's Flight @5
2oz Centennial @ 5
2oz Columbus @ 5
2oz Falconer's Flight @ flameout
2oz Centennial @ flameout
2oz Columbus @ flameout

Dry Hop Per 5 Gallon Container
1oz Amarillo 1oz Cascade 1oz Simcoe added at the end of primary
1oz Amarillo 1oz Cascade 1oz Simcoe added in mesh bag in serving

Double decoction mash. Start with a protein rest in the mash tun and then proceed from there. Sacch rest in the boil pot at 150 for 20 minutes, bring to boil, boil for 10 minutes. Add back to mash tun gradually, aiming for 150 in the mash tun. Rest for 20 minutes. Pull 2nd decoction, boil for 10 minutes. Add back to mash tun gradually until mash out temp is reached at 170.
Sparge and then boil for 60 minutes. Add corn sugar at flameout.

Chill to mid forties and pitch yeast starter. Ferment at 50 until fermentation is complete, this beer took 7 days. Add dry hops and warm to 65 for diacetyl rest, 5 days. Transfer to keg and add 2nd dry hop in mesh straining bag. Carbonate at 40 PSI for one day.

Drink the very next day, dream of what could have been, vent and complain to anyone who will listen, drink some more, post dispariging remarks on Facebook, drink more, loathe in your own self pity and listen to Radiohead's Creep. Drink some more.

**Edit: This beer scored a 35.5 and was considered for mini Best of Show out of 22 entries in the Nordeast Big River Homebrew Competition on October 10, 2015**

Back