Kingbee brand Malt Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
I just found out that I've been getting DME from Kingbee, when I thought (or maybe it used to be) it was Morgans. This is their website, it's chinese DME from a company that otherwise sells food additives/sweeteners.
http://kingbee.en.ec21.com
I've had some really high FGs lately. Any thoughts on whether I should continue using this stuff? Just gonna say it, any product from China I am highly skeptical of.

here's the actual product details: http://kingbee.en.ec21.com/Dried_Malte_Extract_DME_Dark--3912272_3912273.html

hmm, but why not? im curious as to a reason why, is it intended for a non-brewing purpose?

I would never use that DME either. I wouldn't trust that company to ensure the necessary quality control and standards that I am comfortable with. I would stick to Munton's or Briess myself.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Home Brew mobile app

After cat food and baby formula was adulterated I would not use this DME.
The only edible from China that I use is Pearl River Bridge soy sauce.

Sounds like it has too many unfermentables in it. Not to mention,being named after a blues song Slim Harpo.
Well,I'm a king bee,
buzzin around yo'hive.
Well,I'm a king bee,
buzzin around yo' hive.
well I can make honey baby,
Let me come inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
im gonna cut it out, try to use the same procedure and mash temps and see how my fermentability is. sad thing is i have few options.

can anyone offer a suggestion about what it could be? is it DME for industrial food sweetening?

im gonna cut it out, try to use the same procedure and mash temps and see how my fermentability is. sad thing is i have few options.

can anyone offer a suggestion about what it could be? is it DME for industrial food sweetening?
I think this malt is meant for the food industry. Here is a link to Briess. They also make food industry products. The food product lines are their major products. I use a bit of the brewing DME in my bread.
http://www.briess.com/food/Products/mimbf.php

thanks, i remember hearing a long time ago that in montreal, the bagel makers use malt extract in their dough. i'll inform my LHBS about this product. also they're charging the exact same amount $9/lb as real breiss DME from another LHBS

thanks, i remember hearing a long time ago that in montreal, the bagel makers use malt extract in their dough. i'll inform my LHBS about this product. also they're charging the exact same amount $9/lb as real breiss DME from another LHBS

Yes, for bagels it is typically the non-diastic DME.
After your post, I thought why not go ahead and experiment. I added 1 teaspoon Muntons Extra Light DME per pound of flour to my bread mix. Resulted in a very nice dark brown crust and a hint of the DME flavor which is very nice. Doesn't toast darker though.

Back