• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Massachusetts Kimex Culture Vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuttyProf21

Reaction score
I have a ton of 20ml culture vials that need a new home. They are new with a new rubber lined cap. I am looking to get $1.75 each for them. Will ship them for actual shipping cost.

These are great for slants and yeast storage. If enough folks wanted them with the medium in them I could make up some. Would add about $1 to the cost.

Link to Picture

Vials.jpg

They are 20ml with a black plastic cap With a rubber liner. The ones northern brewer sells for $2.99 have a paper liner.

How many with media do you want? I can do 50 at a time so if I could sell that many I would run a batch.

If you do the media, I would take 5 of them.

I would take 5. With or without media.

Could the folks who want some send me a pm with what you want. I will make some up over the weekend.

The screw cap culture tube for sale in this listing is from Kimble-Chase's (owner the Kimax brand) disposable line of culture tubes. The bottom of the making area shape points outward instead of inward on reusable Kimax tubes.

Here's a reusable Kimble-Chase culture tube:

a2427.jpg

There is a huge difference in cost between disposable and reusable Kimble-Chase culture tubes. Reusable 45066A-20125 20mm x 125mm Kimax culture tubes cost between $2.50 and $3.50 each in quantity. Disposable Kimble Chase 73750-20125 20mm x 125mm culture tubes cost around fifty cents each in quantity.

The screw cap culture tube for sale in this listing is from Kimble-Chase's (owner the Kimax brand) disposable line of culture tubes. The bottom of the making area shape points outward instead of inward on reusable Kimax tubes.

Here's a reusable Kimble-Chase culture tube:

a2427.jpg

There is a huge difference in cost between disposable and reusable Kimble-Chase culture tubes. Reusable 45066A-20125 20mm x 125mm Kimax culture tubes cost between $2.50 and $3.50 each in quantity. Disposable Kimble Chase 73750-20125 20mm x 125mm culture tubes cost around fifty cents each in quantity.

What is the difference in the quality of the tube between disposable and reusable? And what kind of quality do you have to buy to get them at that price?

In order to get them for $0.50 you need to buy 500 of them and 1000 caps. If you just want a few no name brand that has a paper lined cap and no marking area feel free to buy them at Northern Brewer. These have rubber lined caps and a marking area. Yes they have thinner glass but in our application you don't need to throw them out every use.

So why not go bother someone else. If you want some vials I have them.

What is the difference in the quality of the tube between disposable and reusable? And what kind of quality do you have to buy to get them at that price?

There is a big difference between reusable and disposable culture tubes. Not only is the glass thicker, the adhesive that holds the cap liner in place is designed to withstand multiple trips through an autoclave. Disposable culture tubes and caps are not rated for multiple trips through an autoclave. Sure, one can usually get more than one use out a disposable culture tube. However, the average amateur brewer can easily get a decade of use out a set of reusable culture tubes.

One can get reusable Kimble-Chase 45066-16100 16mm x 100mm screw-cap culture tubes for $1.93 each in quantity one from Midland Scientific (the perfect home yeast bank size). Kimble-Chase 45066-20125 20mm x 125mm screw-cap culture tubes are $2.97 each in quantity one from Midland Scientific. The series number for reusable Kimble-Chase screw-cap culture tubes is 45066. The number after the dash is the tube diameter followed by its length. The 73750 series of disposable culture tubes are not sold in quantity one because they are designed to be used once and thrown away; therefore, they are always purchased in bulk. A 20mm x 125mm disposable Kimble-Chase culture tube is part number 73750-20125.

Since you are such an expert you should know that you buy the caps separate from the tubes.

Seriously find a life and piss off

What is the process ford creating slants with these? I've recently been looking into yeast storage techniques that offer better results than rinsing and storing under water...

How long can you viably store a slant? And how difficult is it to culture a pitch sized colony from a single slant?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back