Kilner Clip Top 1 Litre Preserve Bottle not good for long term storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
I bought six I litre Kilner preserve bottles because the have a funky look and I thought it would the the same as my smaller swing top bottles.

I used them mainly for a very fizzy ginger beer I made and it was great for a few weeks but a few months the remaining bottles of ginger beer was flat

Are these bottles not suited for homebrew?

I checked out the bottles on the Kilner website, but can't tell if they have a seal or not. Any kind of rubber gasket on the swing top? If not, I bet you have a slow leak that caused the carbonation to fade.

It looks like they also make homebrew bottles, but those are just regular brown swing tops. One thought - if the bottles you have don't have gaskets, it looks like they sell replacement tops in the homebrew section of the site. You might be able to just replace them.

Final thought, since they have two different kinds of bottles, the ones you bought might not be well suited to the pressure of CO2 (bottle bombs). Probably, they're fine, just thought I'd toss that out there.

Back