Killing Yeast/Stopping Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbelow

Reaction score
I'm attempting to make a clone of Short's Brewing Peaches and Cream Ale. The problem is that I overshot the OG and its projected to finish at 8.5% ( I wanted it at around 8.4 max)and I still have to rack the beer onto peaches in secondary which will increase the abv even more. Whats the best way to kill the yeast to keep the abv where i want it prior to racking to secondary? I'm kegging this batch so dead yeast isnt an issue.

I'm attempting to make a clone of Short's Brewing Peaches and Cream Ale. The problem is that I overshot the OG and its projected to finish at 8.5% ( I wanted it at around 8.4 max)and I still have to rack the beer onto peaches in secondary which will increase the abv even more. Whats the best way to kill the yeast to keep the abv where i want it prior to racking to secondary? I'm kegging this batch so dead yeast isnt an issue.

Good question. I know the options for stopping yeast are: filtration (removal), permanent cold temperature, temporary high temperature (pasteurization), or chemical neutralization (sorbate/metabisulfute).

You *might* get by with a really good long cold crash followed by racking to secondary, but I'd wait to see what other advice you get here first.

Is the difference between 8.4 and 8.5% worth the trouble?

If you really wanted to you could crash it down, that will slow fermentation and get the yeast to start dropping out of suspension. Then age on peaches at low temps? Although I'm not sure you'll get the end product you want doing that...

When I rack onto the peaches fermentation will start again, increasing the abv. I just don't want this beer too boozey.

Frozen peaches? Just wondering where you're getting peaches this time of year. But how much is the gravity going to increase? You're potentially adding as much water as you are sugar. Personally, I'd rather risk a boozy beer than a sweet, unfinished beer. Letting your yeast finish will be worth more than trying to fix the gravity.

I'm just going to roll the dice and hope it works out. I'm using frozen peaches no sugar added btw.

Latest posts

Back