Killing/Neutralizing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
I'm looking at a recipe that requires adding a fair amount of sugar after fermentation is complete. SWMBO is sensitive to sulfites, so that's not an option. I don't want carbonating or any additional fermentation to take place after adding the sugar.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm looking at a recipe that requires adding a fair amount of sugar after fermentation is complete. SWMBO is sensitive to sulfites, so that's not an option. I don't want carbonating or any additional fermentation to take place after adding the sugar.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Use an unfermentable sugar?

Heat. Yeast and bacteria both die in the heat. I'd probably heat to 160F. By the time you can cool it back to room temp the yeast should all be dead.

Are you bottling or kegging? If you're bottling check the cider thread, there's a great post about pasteurizing. If kegging you could transfer it carefully off the yeast cake and if you keep it cold it should prevent any additional fermentation.
Otherwise you could heat it up as a batch. Transfer to a big pot, heat it up to kill the yeast, add sugar, cool down and transfer to a keg. I'd have some concerns about oxydation or off flavors coming from "cooking" the beer, but I can't tell you how much of a real threat that is.

Are you bottling or kegging? If you're bottling check the cider thread, there's a great post about pasteurizing. If kegging you could transfer it carefully off the yeast cake and if you keep it cold it should prevent any additional fermentation.
Otherwise you could heat it up as a batch. Transfer to a big pot, heat it up to kill the yeast, add sugar, cool down and transfer to a keg. I'd have some concerns about oxydation or off flavors coming from "cooking" the beer, but I can't tell you how much of a real threat that is.

I'd be bottling. I was thinking that I would sweeten it, then bottle and more it less use the same process as canning (submerge in boiling water for x minutes) to kill the yeast but contain the alcohol and anything else that would boil off.

Thanks all for the replies!

If you kill your yeast before they carbonate your beer...it will be flat bottled sweet beer. Maybe you could try letting the bottles sit for a week after bottling, heating the beer bottles up to kill the yeast (preventing bottle bombs), and save some sweetness. Lactose is unfermentable and sweet so you could use that as well.

If you kill your yeast before they carbonate your beer...it will be flat bottled sweet beer. Maybe you could try letting the bottles sit for a week after bottling, heating the beer bottles up to kill the yeast (preventing bottle bombs), and save some sweetness. Lactose is unfermentable and sweet so you could use that as well.

It's not quite a beer that I'm going for, so flat and sweet would work.

Latest posts

Back