Kids and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
My 4 year old daughter has started to love helping with "doing beer stuff" as she calls it. Mainly she just "helps" me carry stuff from the basement to kitchen for cleaning, or will hold the hose into the Carboy when transferring, but she always loves helping. Anyone else got there kids into it? Maybe some of you older Brewers gotten your now legal age kids into actually brewing and drinking good beer?

My 4 year old daughter has started to love helping with "doing beer stuff" as she calls it. Mainly she just "helps" me carry stuff from the basement to kitchen for cleaning, or will hold the hose into the Carboy when transferring, but she always loves helping. Anyone else got there kids into it? Maybe some of you older Brewers gotten your now legal age kids into actually brewing and drinking good beer?

I think this is GREAT! Keep her involved. Teaches that helping is important, fun, and it's a great sharing time between you two. I started brewing long after my three daughters were grown and moved away, but we did other "helping" projects together and I can see now that as adults, they are independent thinkers, creative, and are always willing to (and enjoy) work hard and help others, knowing that something good will always come of their efforts. Good job, dad.

Shoot, brewing is my "me" time away from the wife and kids. I love them, but it's nice to hang out in the garage for a few hours every few weeks, alone.

My kids were never interested in helping, but my son did make root beer and he loved doing that. When he got to be a 6'2" teenager, he would help me mash in and haul out the grain if he was home.

My grandsons seem interested- at least the four year old likes to flip the switches on the electric HERMS, and he can pour anybody a nice beer out of the kegerator.

He can't read, though, so you have to tell him what the name of the beer starts with. Oh, he knows "IPA", so if you order an IPA you're golden- but if you want something else, you have to say, "I want the pale ale- it starts with a 'p'" and then he'll pour you a nice pint. He can reach the taps now, without a step stool, so he loves that!

Here's a picture of the bartender training from when he was 3-
IMG_0247.jpg

My kids were never interested in helping, but my son did make root beer and he loved doing that. When he got to be a 6'2" teenager, he would help me mash in and haul out the grain if he was home.

My grandsons seem interested- at least the four year old likes to flip the switches on the electric HERMS, and he can pour anybody a nice beer out of the kegerator.

He can't read, though, so you have to tell him what the name of the beer starts with. Oh, he knows "IPA", so if you order an IPA you're golden- but if you want something else, you have to say, "I want the pale ale- it starts with a 'p'" and then he'll pour you a nice pint. He can reach the taps now, without a step stool, so he loves that!

Here's a picture of the bartender training from when he was 3-

View attachment 240236

Yooper, that's awesome!

My son and nephew did like helping when I brewed. They both know more any teenager should know about beer also!

My 4 year old is a great helper. He likes weighing things and throwing the hops in (supervised, of course). He's going to be one heck of a brewer one day if he keeps this up.

Back