Kicked my mash tun ... Burned my foot ... Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
Well as the title states

My foot hurts!!!!

Kidding, kind of

I am using my new mash tun with valve and false bottom. I added 4 lbs of grain and 5 qts. of water to it and began mashing at 152. I walked out to the garage after 18 minutes of mashing and accidentally kicked the valve to my false bottom and wort started spewing all over my leg. :( :mad:

I probably lost 1/2 - 1 qt. before closing the valve! I quickly filled up another quart at 152 and put it back in there. Mash temp was all fine at 152.

Now I'm worried.

Did I blow my mash? Did I lose an incredible amount of my fermentables? Can I add some of these remaining 5 billion priming sugar packets from kit beers into the beer to make up for the sugar I lost? (Kidding, probably just one?)

I've decided to continue mashing the remainder of the 90 minutes ...

Damn my sandal is sticky and my foot hurts. Crap!!

This is a seasonal beer for my mom, so I'm concerned. Or else I'd let it ride without consultation.

It's a sweet potato spice ale partial mash with 4 lbs DME and 2 lb cabs of sweet potato ...

Pat

Take a pre boil gravity reading to see how far off you are and then use some more dme if you have it to compensate.

Sorry about your foot! Don't put the mash tun on the floor. It benefits to have a bit higher to drain it. Easier to stir too.

Yeah, you lost some good high gravity wort :(
Measure your gravity and volume after the boil. If needed adjust with more DME. Don't add sugar.
Are you mashing those sweet potatoes? Cans I hope, not cabs...

Added: I've made pumpkin ales and even 5 cans of pumpkin puree were barely detectable in the final beer. I may double it next time. :drunk:

Thanks guys. Ended up with an OG of 1.05. I guess it should have been up around 1.06 or so like my other beer that I didn't bathe my foot in. Crap. Live and learn.

I had no extra DME on hand. Brew store opens tomorrow. Is it too late to add some additional DME two days after fermentation has begun? If it's not, how much to add?

One pound of dme in 5 gallons will raise the gravity 9 points. Just boil it up with some water to pasteurize it and add it in. Everything should be fine if the beer is still actively fermenting.

When I was chasing the perfect OG, I'd do a reading toward the end of the boil and adjust with DME. Now I don't bother. In either case, make sure you mention in your brew day notes, to explain why this batch (may) taste different.

Well I added 1lb of extra pale dme to my fermenter last night. The beer had been going steady for about 36 hours when added. I boiled the dme in a metal pot and put it in an ice bath of water for about 5-10 minutes to cool some and added it in. All airlock activity ceased but it may have been slowing anyway. Another similar batch I did the same day has slowed to a near stop too so I bet it's ok and silently fermenting away. No airlock activity ...

Guess I could have fried my yeast? I used 2 cups of water and boiled the dme for a few minutes then ice bathed the metal pot in a larger one filled with ice water for 5-10 minutes.

Guess we'll see

Your airlock activity stopped mostly because you removed all the positive pressure when you removed it to add the new wort. It will also take some time for the yeast to go to work on the new sugars.

Whether you created a problem pouring in hot wort depends on how hot it was and how much you aerated the beer getting the addition into the batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back