Kick up an American Light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So I was at the LHBS last weekend, and picked up some random stuff. He also had a batch of pre-hopped Muntons American Light no boil kit for $10. He let me try it, and it was decent, plus the price is right. I figured I would dump it in the bucket and let the yeasties do their thing while I was on vacation for a week, bottle when I got home, and a couple weeks from now have a quick lawnmower beer that will keep my buddies out of my Red Ale :)

Now I'm thinking.... How about throwing it into a secondary with 2 or 3 lbs of fresh strawberries? Do you think that something that light would be overpowered by the extra alcohol and flavor of the berries? Or does anyone else have any suggestions? I have an 8 hr drive tomorrow, so who knows what will end up in the bucket when I get home.

I think that strawberries would be great. I think they are pretty delicate flavor wise so it shoudn't be overpowering. However I am saying this with only two fruit beer under my belt, one choc cherry stout and one choc raspberry stout.

Plus, what is the worst that will happen? You end up with a few pounds of greyish berry blobs?

It's worth a shot, but I think I read somewhere that the reason that strawberries aren't used in beer much is because they require a good amount of sweetness to keep their flavor, which generally is not there in most beers. What you are left with is soemthign that doesn't taste like strawberries.

Maybe do up a small batch and see what happens?

Back