Kgerator Under $400 for Christmas Gift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel21321

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers,

I want to surprise my boyfriend with a kegerator for Christmas, but most of them seem under my budget (~$400). I have found two, but I'm wondering if it is worth getting a cheaper one or if I should just get him a keg and some supplies instead. He currently bottles and is wanting to move to kegging.

These are the two I was looking at:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-6.0...5461695869256&sourceid=0100000012230215302434 (Igloo, Walmart, $349)

http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-craft-brew-kegerator/KC1000SS.html (Edgestar, Kegerator.com, $349)

Any thoughts or advice would be most helpful! Thanks!

My advice would be to get him a kegging system and let him pick what to install it into. He might pick a mini fridge like what you posted, but he may well have his heart set on a Keezer instead, or a larger upright where he could fit more kegs or fill the door shelves with bottles (what I do and I LOVE it!)

If he buys a new fridge/freezer it won't save money over one of those prebuilt kegerators, but if he is happy with a Craigslist fridge and a small amount of work it will probably be close to the same price. Personally I'd rather build it than buy it. It's kind of like putting together a model (that pours beer...)

I tend to agree with Homercidal. It's a great thought but I think you'd be better off getting him some kegging equipment. He would need a system like this:
1. Begginer keg system http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/draft-brewer-dual-keg-system-new-ball-lock-w-manifold
2. and a CO2 bottle. You can get the best deal for this on craigslist or pick one up at a local home brew store.

Those two items will eat up your budget. If he is handy he can build a kegerator for $100 to $200 depending on what he want's to do and how many taps he wants. One thing to consider with those kegerators you posted is that they only have one tap so he'll either have to buy/build a new draft tower anyway or only be able to drink from one keg at a time.

Yep I would maybe just get some kegging supplies such as http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon...-2-USED-Kegs-to-Build-Kegerator-7_p_2150.html.

If you bought that he would still have the option to build his own keezer if he wanted or he could just use it as it is.

You can also pick up a small freezer for around $150 and a temperature controller for $50.

There's many options on the link I sent you such as just one keg. I'd be happy to give you all the information on all the supplies you need to get him into kegging under $400.

those are both great options. I agree with above. I'd just get him a pre-made kit including co2 bottle, all gas/beer lines and connectors, the regulator and shank faucet assembly.
Can find them for around $175 at beverage factory, northern Brewer or adventures in homebrewing.
I personally use a 2.5gallon keg, but in all likelihood your boyfriend makes 5 gallon batches so you'll probably want to get a 5 gallon keg or two (he can always add more later).
Like Homercidal said, it's probably best to let your boyfriend choose the fridge/freezer option he wants to suit how many taps/kegs he'll want to serve at one time. Craigslist is definitely a great option

If it was me I would just like a note saying you have $400 to buy/ build a kegerator. But I enjoy researching deals and felt I could make a better one for the same amount of money as a store bought one. Which I did it holds 4 kegs instead of 2 and was about $400, if I bought a used freezer it would of been even cheaper.

Remember this gift doesn't have to b new but new to him. A kit setup is a god idea but that is also like getting a new gaming system but no games for it or a new baseball glove but no ball to play with. You might want to check local and see if somebody is selling a turn key setup.

All the work is done and it might need a little cleaning but he could be pouring beer the next day.

(Or if you know when the beer is ready to move from fermenter you could rack it to a keg and plug it in and have it set up on Christmas for him.)

Also be advised that the Walmart one is most likely set up for commercial kegs, not generally used in homebrewing. So all of the keg attachments would have to be replaced anyway.

Where are you located? I would gladly look through craigslist in your area for deals for you.

Craigslist really is your friend when building a kegerator. Both of the kegerators you linked will need some modification to serve from a homebrew keg and they may only fit 1 keg each. Lots of people prefer to have space for two at a minimum to have one carbonating or clearing while the other is serving.

What many people do is get either a small 5-7 cubic foot chest freezer and either build or buy a temperature controller for the freezer. The size of the freezer and the type of kegs (pin lock or ball lock) is what determines how many kegs you can fit. Pinlocks are shorter but fatter while ball locks are taller and skinnier. In general you can fit more ball locks in a freezer than pin locks. Used Pin Locks ($35) can often be found considerably cheaper than ball locks ($50+).

I would pick his brain about how many beers he would like to serve before committing $400 to anything. I started with a 4 keg system and have moved on to a system that could serve up to 10 kegs.

Depends on how DIY your boyfriend is. I'm horrible so I purchased but you get what you pay for. A Walmart of is fine but it will just put off buying an more expensive once you see the draw backs. You could buy all the other things, legs CO2 tanks and so forth and have him figure out the fridge part. BTW. You are a wonderful girl friend.

Back