Kettle with integrated chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJay

Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my 5G kettle with something a little larger. I currently do usually 2.5g biab indoors in my kitchen.

I am toying with the idea of integrating an immersion chiller into my build. I know a few of you have done it. My plan would be to use probably 25 ft. of 3/8 stainless tube tucked real close to the kettle wall so the center will still work fine for Biab. I think I can squeeze room in there too for an electric element to assist in getting to temperatures.

I see the advantage of being one less piece of equipment to haul to the kitchen and I hate draining my traditional IC. I figure I will attach cam lock fittings and just attach the hoses during the chill.

Is this just a solution looking for a problem?

I sanitize a piece of 18" heavy duty aluminum foil to cover the kettle while I'm sanitizing with an immersion cooler. This way I'm able to completely cover the kettle while I'm chilling.

It's a solution causing another problem. It will make cleaning the kettle that much harder.

Jeez Bobby I was going to buy a bunch of stuff from you for this project :)

Yes, cleaning might be an issue, but I never have much much trouble cleaning my IC. But if it's hard-mounted I suppose that will be more difficult.

Back