Kettle valve or metal racking cane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyBeerGuy

Reaction score
I just got a new counterflow chiller for christmas, and now I need either a kettle valve or a metal racking cane. I know the racking cane is much cheaper, and I don't mind the extra effort of siphoning, but I just wanted the thoughts of the people with more experience.

For the sake of convenience, and the added benefit of the ball valve (adjustable flow), I would say put a valve on that pot unless money is the main concern. Is this a dedicated brewpot or is it a multitasker? Would having the valve on the pot make it more difficult to store?

Storage might be a problem, but the only thing I use the pot is for brewing. It's only a 5 gallon pot I'm only doing extract brews. I guess a weldless option is best so I can move it to another pot if I get one?

I'd think starting a siphon with a CFC would be a pain in the rear.

I did the metal siphon thing for a while and it kinda sucked. It's SO much nicer just turning a valve.

I don't think starting a siphon with a CFC would be any more difficult than starting one without. But with a CFC being gravity fed, (no pump I'm assuming) you will want the ability to throttle back the flow to nearly nothing. This won't be doable with a siphon.

Back