Kettle Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diego123

Reaction score
I want to make a 10 gallon batch but my kettle only fits about 5 gallons of water can I make a 5 gallon batch out of grain enough for 10 gallons and just top with 5 gallons more of distilled water on the fermenter?

What is your setup like? 3 vessel all grain, brew in a a bag? my initial reaction is you won't have room for everything to work well, (mashing, hop extraction.) If you really want to try it that way I would think using a little more of the specialty grains than necessary, use about half the base grain bill you would and use extract at the very end of the boil to hit your target SG. That way you should still get decent hop extraction and mashing is possible but still have enough in the way of OG to make a decent beer.

I want to make a 10 gallon batch but my kettle only fits about 5 gallons of water can I make a 5 gallon batch out of grain enough for 10 gallons and just top with 5 gallons more of distilled water on the fermenter?

Very light low alcohol beer.

Short answer is no, unless you use a ton of grain and then water down to a session beer at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back