Kettle too small for full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noladom

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon kettle that I bought when I first started brewing and haven't upgraded yet. I have an American IPA recipe ready to go but my brew store owner recommended a boil volume of 6g for this 5 gallon batch. I have 6lbs DME and 2lbs grains. What's the best way to split this? Should I steep grains in a smaller pot and boil the extract in a larger batch? Should I do all grains and extract in say a 3.5 gallon batch then add water after? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have a 5 gallon kettle that I bought when I first started brewing and haven't upgraded yet. I have an American IPA recipe ready to go but my brew store owner recommended a boil volume of 6g for this 5 gallon batch. I have 6lbs DME and 2lbs grains. What's the best way to split this? Should I steep grains in a smaller pot and boil the extract in a larger batch? Should I do all grains and extract in say a 3.5 gallon batch then add water after? Thanks.

Boil as much as you can, that's all you can do.

Steep the grains in your brewpot, remove them, and then add water to get you to your boil volume (3.5 gallons? a wee bit more?). Add half, or less, of the DME, and bring that to a boil. Proceed with hopping according to the recipe, and add the rest of the DME at flame out.

Try to boil as much as you can without boiling over. It's tough to do an IPA without a full boil, due to hops utilization limits. But boil as big as you can, and that will help a lot.

Cool the wort, and then top up to 5 gallons.

Do you have a second decent sized pot kicking around your home anywhere?

I do 5 gallon all grain batches using a 5 gallon pot I bought for doing mini-mash brews and my wife's 3 gallon soup/stock pot. You have to figure out how to divide your ingredients between the two pots and it requires a little more time/attention (cooling 2 pots/managing hot break and hop additions) than using a single pot but it's doable.

Do you have a second decent sized pot kicking around your home anywhere?

I do 5 gallon all grain batches using a 5 gallon pot I bought for doing mini-mash brews and my wife's 3 gallon soup/stock pot. You have to figure out how to divide your ingredients between the two pots and it requires a little more time/attention (cooling 2 pots/managing hot break and hop additions) than using a single pot but it's doable.

Lol. I do this every brew, but all grain. It's a lot easier all grain. Time for a new pot:D

I want the larger kettle just don't have the extra $75 in the budget just yet. Impatient so I didn't want to wait for the new kettle to brew this batch. I DO have a smaller pot so that's definitely an option. I believe I can manage 3.5 on the stove. It's a gas stove after all. I'm also looking at a Dark Star propane burner on Northernbrewer. 54,000 BTU. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on that end? It's got lots of positive reviews and claims to bring a full 5 gallon batch to a boil in 15 minutes. Thanks guys (and girls)

It's time to upgrade to a larger volume kettle. If doing 5-gallon batches, I would recommend one that is 10-gallons in volume and at least has a ball valve installed.

I can do a full boil if I use a stock pot we have in addition to my usual kettle, but it's got a Teflon coating on the inside. Has anyone ever done that before? Is that ok? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unless the surface temp of the pan exceeds 450* F, the Teflon is safe. I used to boil wort in Teflon. How much room do you have between the stove and the hood?
To get volume on the cheap, try and find a used turkey fryer setup. The pot is usually 30 quarts, and the burners are usually 50K BTU. I want to suggest, if you can afford a larger pot, get one. I recently did a full boil of a 1.080 ale, and the 40 quart pot I bought really wasn't enough for me to be comfortable with a 8+ gallon boil. I agree with the consensus of many others, buy a big(er) pot to start with, at least 60 quarts do do a full boil of a big beer. Granted, 1.080 is not a big beer by any standards, physics dictate, the more grain you have the more water you will need to sparge it, and 60 quarts seems overkill for most 5 gallon batches. have a 22 quart pot I mash in, and both a 30 or 40 quart pot depending on what beer I am going to brew. I got lucky, I bought two turkey fryer setups, brand new for $20.00 each. 30 quart pots, and 50K BTU burners were just the ticket. I paid $38.00 for my aluminum 40 quart pot w/o a spigot, and am still deciding if I will put one in or not.

Hmm. I have an electric stove and the burners are full contact, so I'm guessing it may get hotter than 450 at the bottom of the pot. I'm living abroad in an apartment right now so the turkey fryers aren't really an option for me anytime soon.

Hmm. I have an electric stove and the burners are full contact, so I'm guessing it may get hotter than 450 at the bottom of the pot. I'm living abroad in an apartment right now so the turkey fryers aren't really an option for me anytime soon.

As long as you have wort in contact with the bottom of the kettle it won't get much above 212 because the wort will boil at that temp. Now worries.

My only caution with Teflon is if you're keeping the wort in that pot to cool it after the boil. It shouldn't affect the wort at all but cooling Teflon rapidly with water will damage the Teflon coating and much like everything else in the world now days will "release cancer causing toxins" or something along those lines. But the rapid cooling piece is true ( as far as I can tell) and it could do a number on your pot.

Not to say I know everything about beer. But it might be better to do a concentrated batch and just add the rest of the water later.

Back