Kettle soured blaeberry wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrack

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a kind of blaeberry lemon wit, and want a bit of sourness to balance out the fruit, so thought of doing a light kettle souring. Don't want it really overtly sour though and want it to still taste quite clean.

What sort of ph should I aim for and what time souring should I expect for that? I have some old probiotic pills or would some grain be as good? Or should I just cough up for a blend? Or Chuck in some Kraut juice?
I'm also thinking of aging some on Brett c but not sure as I'd have to leave berries out of this half for a while I guess.

Thinking of doing a kind of blaeberry lemon wit, and want a bit of sourness to balance out the fruit, so thought of doing a light kettle souring. Don't want it really overtly sour though and want it to still taste quite clean.

What sort of ph should I aim for and what time souring should I expect for that? I have some old probiotic pills or would some grain be as good? Or should I just cough up for a blend? Or Chuck in some Kraut juice?
I'm also thinking of aging some on Brett c but not sure as I'd have to leave berries out of this half for a while I guess.
The other option is to stick some lactic acid in I suppose... Feels like cheating

light kettle souring. Don't want it really overtly sour though
Probably you want pH around 3.6 and not below 3.5.
I'm guessing it'll only take 12-24 hours to get there, with a normal process.

L. plantarum is my Lacto of choice.
Omega, TYB, & ECY have solid cultures.
Swanson's, Goodbelly, and Renewlife are good probiotics.
They need to be stored refrigerated, so don't use your old pills.
Grain can be used but it's more risky.

I'd pre-boil, pre-acidify to ~4.4, and pitch L. plantarum without a starter holding between 65-68°F so you have a chance to stop it at the right time. I'd check it every 6 hours or so.

People have mixed results adding lactic acid. Most of the time it's not good.
On the other hand, if you add enough lemon juice, it'll be sour.

Probably you want pH around 3.6 and not below 3.5.
I'm guessing it'll only take 12-24 hours to get there, with a normal process.

L. plantarum is my Lacto of choice.
Omega, TYB, & ECY have solid cultures.
Swanson's, Goodbelly, and Renewlife are good probiotics.
They need to be stored refrigerated, so don't use your old pills.
Grain can be used but it's more risky.

I'd pre-boil, pre-acidify to ~4.4, and pitch L. plantarum without a starter holding between 65-68°F so you have a chance to stop it at the right time. I'd check it every 6 hours or so.

People have mixed results adding lactic acid. Most of the time it's not good.
On the other hand, if you add enough lemon juice, it'll be sour.
Cheers. Not sure what's available here in rural Scot. 3.6 won't be too sour? I envisage it being kinda sour but definitely less sour than a full "sour"beer. I guess the residual sweetness will keep it from being too noticeable?

I used The Yeast Bay's Lacto Blend to get my kettle sour down to 3.5 in less than 24 hours (I stopped it there by boiling the wort for a few minutes). I did not pre-acidify. I would definitely aim for a pH of 3.5. Anything higher than that and it's not really even sour at all.

Grab a bottle of beer and add lactic acid to it to hit pH 3.7, and then 3.6, and then 3.5.

That'll tell you two things: what level of sour you want and whether adding straight lactic acid will make a drinkable beer in your opinion.

Latest posts

Back